Tuesday, July 29, 2008

i know a girl who thinks of ghosts. she'll make you breakfast, she'll make you toast.

~the flaming lips

it was kind of amusing to me in tulsa when I heard my brother's band play this song. and like when they asked adam if he knew who the smashing pumpkins were (he responded "what the hell do you MEAN do I know who the smashing pumpkins are? how do YOU know who they are?" they were like "oh, do you know the flaming lips?" they are eleven years younger than I am and still loving all the music I enjoyed when I was their age. pretty rad. and amusing. you'll see band pics in my roadtrip posts, when I get to 'em.

so, pop quiz...who's the coolest girl in town? first guess, shout it out...that's right, me! because today lucky li'l ol' me got to have a mole removed from my leg! yippee! thank goodness it's already a better experience that it was last time! and and and, if it comes back "abnormal" there's ANOTHER mole/freckle on my leg that I get to have removed. yeehaw!

also, she suggested a new moisturizer for me to use. and I looked it up on the database, and lookie here. a three. I'll take a three! and spf 45, too. unfortunately, though, my regular sunblock, the good ol' 85, doesn't get a good rating at all. I'm going to use what I have and then look to make a switch. I do feel slightly better knowing that I'm not going in any water any time soon, so I am not exposing the ocean quite as directly. y'all have heard about sunblock bleaching coral, right?

oh and, I used this song and title because...for my "wound" I'm supposed to apply vasoline. no neosporin. no antibiotic ointment. just plain old vasoline.

I will get to the rest of my road trip info soon enough. Right now I want to tell you about my week/weekend. Friday night we played sand volleyball at a bar (our team name is nachos grande!) and I almost beat up some people. while there we saw a luna moth--it was HUGE. but that is not why I wanted to beat up people. there were two people, a guy and a girl, who joined our team, and they were DEAD SET on the middle front person (in fives or sixes) hitting the ball on the second hit. So much so that if they were not the front middle, and the ball came within 6 inches of them, they would just let it fall because it was front middle man's job. It was SO frustrating! We played for 4 games and I even tried to be wily and rotate in between the two of them to help mix it up a little.

I mean, I know that people have habits and get used to playing a certain way, but really? they said they'd been playing volleyball for just this season, never before in their lives, and the season has been going on for 5 weeks. In five games (one per week) you have developed unbreakable habits? Isn't the primary goal to get the ball over the net and inside the lines? I even politely said "um, hey listen, this isn't how we are used to playing, could y'all at least yell "I got it" if you are getting it if you're the 2-man? Because really if it's coming right at me? I'm hitting it unless you call me off and give me plenty of time."

awkward. but at least we had fun talking to andrew afterwards.

saturday we got up, went to the farmers market and then went to cosmic cantina with katie, ben, audrey and little sam. I stole Katie's picture because matt's eyes are open in hers! We then went to Zola, this cute little gallery/shop next door. They had LOTS of eco-friendly and/or re-purposed stuff. Don't be surprised if I get you stuff from there in the future! I bought some coasters and a little magnet for chelsea and amos. yay! and then we walked across the street and took pictures of a flower bed. I'd seen it on the way in, but didn't want to be late--and FOR ONCE Matt and I were early. By like a whole 8 minutes!

after that we came home, got our goldilocks on (aka flipped over our mattress) and craaaashed. the mattress is too soft and saggy even though it's not all that old, and we wanted to see if the pillow top is the problem. this way it was TOO hard. I got an egg crate to try, but if that doesn't work either I'm going to have to get a new one. I'm twenty-seven. I should not wake up with an aching back every morning! it has gotten MUCH worse now that there are two people sleeping in it. boo hiss for serta, the mattress is only three years old!

that evening after our looooong nap I ran errands, we made and ate goulash to use up some stuff we had at the house, and we watched serenity. have you see firefly? it is a great but short series that's what serenity was about. if you like sci-fi at all, check it out!

sunday was church and then pictures with the fabys! they were such good sports and we had A LOT of fun, and thankfully the weather held, too! I have only gotten to do a few of the photos--more to come. At some point. I hope! also, matt was a wonderful assistant/holder of things, and I was terribly amused by how well he color-coordinated. :) those sunflowers are from the farmer's market, the hat is mine (it's reversible) and he gave me that basket/bag for our anniversary! by the way, if you want any photography of you and you sig o or children or animals just let me know. right now I'm still taking pictures for basically tips, trying to build my portfolio. I'm having a lot of fun doing it though!!!

Matt left for Augusta after that and I took a looooong nap with gobi and hazel. I was worried when we moved and they were banished from the bedroom (when matt's there) that when they were allowed in they wouldn't want to cuddle. Such is not the case. Gobi even slept on my pillow, which is a rare treat!

And then I watched Witches of Eastwick, ate leftovers, did a little work and went to bed. I'm still reeling from the weekend a little. But thankfully last night I got to have sushi with my dear friend Jennifer, and that was a nice breath of fresh air, so-to-say. :) AND my nice little ross dress for less green dress is going to get even more of a workout. I love it when a $23 dress gets lots of use!

my desk also has some new additions--I brought some of the flowers in, starting using my new coaster and jackie gave me this air freshener. now the flower is ALL orange (it started as white). I'm going to have to take it home though--it's too potent for the office! but it's pretty and I like it!

oh and during my errands I bought these cute shoes on clearance! yay for my small feet! only one problem...the bottoms are slippppperrrryyyyy. VERY slippery. I seriously almost bit it like four times yesterday. but I looked cute!

okay, back to working. and to not thinking about the owie on my leg. oooh AND I might look up the clothing that functions as sunblock for the beach trip, my dermatologist recommended that for nicole's bachelorette. I've already informed her I have to basically hide from the sun all day, but this will allow me to venture out, at least a little...

tonight, air & waste manage assoc officer's meeting and then rock climbing! hooray!

2 comments:

Nicole Faby said...

We had so much fun with you and the pictures I have seen look AMAZING! I cant wait to see the rest!

Anonymous said...

keep me posted on the clothing sunblock thingy...i'm going on a cruise this december and i'm really afraid that i will instantly burn.

firefly and serenity are amazing! i'm still mad at fox for canceling it!

if you end up purchasing a new mattress and need some input...let me know! there are actually quite a few companies that only use recycled and organic materials. and they are actually comfortable too!

-kendra

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio