Monday, July 28, 2008

watching what you eat.

some of you might've missed this comment on my "you don't have to be a saint" post.

"misha said...

Yay for the environment!!! I have gone Vegan which you mention vegetarian - did you know that the methane in Cow farts is far worse for the environment than any of our refineries or cars???? Also, we are killing off the rainforest to make more room for pastures for cows and other animals. And did you know that the energy required in farming cows for the meat industry is enough energy to end world hunger? Astounding. I now say "no" to meat.

But I am still behind in other areas. I am just now trying to own my own grocery bags. I can't believe how many other people have already been doing it and I'm just now jumping on the bandwagon."

I've read it as cow's belching and cow's farting, but either way, it's bad bad bad. And I've googled it before, but now I'm googling it again...here are some factoids.

-livestock accounts for 18 percent of global warming emissions worldwide, more than the entire transportation sector

-cattle, bison, sheep and goats burp out a lot of methane that traps 23 times more heat per ton than carbon dioxide

-the difference between a vegan diet and one that includes cheeseburgers is less than 2 tons of greenhouse gases a year -- that's about the equivalent of switching from a Camry to a Prius. With that in mind, eating beef is the worst; then comes cattle, sheep and goat; and then pork and dairy products are relatively less harmful. Pork and dairy hold the same place in the environment?!?

-if you want to change your diet to combat global-warming (and still eat meat), eating chicken is the best thing you can do. Chickens don't "burp" methane and they produce only one-tenth the methane of cattle waste. And, apparently eating a roast chicken dinner is better for the environment than eating a cheese pizza. Going vegan is, clearly, the best. But not everyone (myself included) can manage that switch!

-It takes 22 times the acres of land to meet the food energy needs of one person eating meat than it does for one person eating potatoes.

-It takes more than 13 times the water to produce one day's food supply for an omnivore than it does for a vegan.

-It takes 27 times the petroleum to produce a hamburger than it does a soy burger.

-The annual greenhouse gas output from burger consumption is the equivalent to the annual greenhouse gas output from between four and 13 million SUVs.

I'm sure there is more. LOTS more. Now, I'm not going vegetarian. And certainly not vegan. I have a love affair with cheese, and I can't get motivated to give it up. But, again--could I eat vegetarian or vegan once a week? Or vegan once and vegetarian twice? Yep. Could I only use half of the meat in recipes where it's all cut up? And have ground turkey instead of ground beef, and focus on eating mainly fish and chicken? Sure can. And, um, maybe give up hamburgers totally. I don't have them that often anyway, but...couldn't hurt!

Oh, and, since Misha mentioned it (and it's been on my mind)...if you were only going to do a handful of environmentally friendly things, here are my top ten that I believe are the most important (either because they have the greatest impact OR because that habit will help you to do other things that are environmentally friendly) in no particular order of importance...

1. reduce, reuse, recycle. in that order.

2. bring your own reusable bags with you everywhere. try the baggus if you like. the less bulky the better. use them at the grocery store, the mall, the pet store, you name it. if you forget them don't accept another bag--go get them, carry it in your purse or hands or pocket or come back another time. on the same idea, skip bottled water as well and opt for your own reusable bottle--besides, LOTS of bottled water started as normal old tap water anyway.

3. walk. run. skip. jump. cycle. combine trips/errands. ride the bus. I am bad about this. the move means that the bus route is like 2.5 miles away--farther than I'm willing to walk, especially in the heat. but I do live only 4 miles from work and I coast a lot. :) I am thinking about getting a bike and braving the roads though...we shall see. also, keep your car in good working order.

4. turn off the lights. switch to cfls. utilize the sunlight. unplug your appliances and chargers. be mindful of the energy you're using!

5. don't overheat or overcool your home. and while you're at it, make use of heat sources--let the oven heat escape while it's cooling in the winter and utilize the evening breeze for cooling in the summer. and don't stand in front of your fridge with the door open (Sterling!)

6. watch what you eat--try to eliminate meat, especially. buy produce locally and/or try to grow it yourself! eat veggie (or vegan) when you can--even once a week without meat will make an impact. and buy produce IN SEASON. those strawberries for sale in the winter? they're from far, far away and they only taste mediocre. resist the urge, okay?

7. do a chemical inventory of your home--check out your cleaning supplies. replace any with scary chemicals. but DO NOT just throw the old ones away (or dump 'em down the drain). dispose of them properly and recycle the bottles. use eco-friendly cleaners (shaklee, method, seventh generation) and when possible make your own! you'll be amazed what a little baking soda and white vinegar will do. and while you're at it, get a grip on the chemicals in your personal care products, too. patty shared this website, which helps you identify problematic items!

8. water water everywhere--but we want to have plenty of drops to drink! cut down on your water consumption. don't wash your car unless it really really needs it. take shorter showers. get a rain barrel (if it's legal where you are).

9. if you have to use paper products, use ones that are made from recycled paper. I personally feel that you can't use, say, rags as toilet paper, but you CAN use them in place of paper towels. :)

10. as much as possible, buy used, organic or sustainable.

this is only *my* opinion. there is no RIGHT way. except that it's "right" to do it. :)

6 comments:

The Writer said...

Thought you'd might like this spin...

http://cheeseslave.wordpress.com/
2008/07/14/
are-vegetarians-bad-for-the-environment/

:)

Mind you the references aren't too scientific, but interesting none-the-less.

Del

M. said...

Great post!

Sarah said...

you go veggie-girl! i lasted three months. might try to go back, but would like the hubby to do it with me for easier meals and such.

i will definitely send you a link to the blog so you can read it. i just always worry about my students finding my eff-bombing self!!!

Sarah said...

hey, email me your email, please :)

sjhgray@gmail.com

Maria said...

We eat substantially less meat than this time a year ago. When Kevin is gone, The boy can I can take an entire week to eat two chicken breasts. I'm thinking about going raw-foodist or maybe pescetarian, but I am currently more of a flexitarian (semi-vegetarian).

:)

Anonymous said...

WOW Carrie I didn't think you even read all your comments!!! I am super suprised that I read a blog that stemmed from a comment of mine!

I LOVE your factoids. They make me feel even better about my choice. Like I said, I'm not a saint (didn't have to tell you that), but I am really trying harder for the environment and my overall health.

By the way, cheese is difficult to give up. But if you are ever interested, there are some great vegan alternatives. Finding ones that melt well is difficult. But you would be amazed what you can make out of tofu that tastes amazing (tofu ricota will melt in your mouth!).

You Go Girl!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio