Tuesday, April 22, 2008

i have so many things I could say.

but the most important is "happy earth day!"

and what a day it was.

I rode the bus to work for the first time ever. I mean, I rode the bus with Jackie in Georgetown, and I rode it in Vegas with Renee and Jessica, and I rode it in Tulsa with my Granny and sister "just for fun." I even rode the bus to/from OKC to see my high school boyfriend. But I've never really used it as an alternative form of transportation, really...and I gotta say--you really should check it out, wherever you are. Yes, it will take longer to get from point A to point B, but it is completely worth it. Completely.

After today (despite being the only person actually *on* the bus both times!) I totally intend to take it whenever I can. I even considered leaving my house at 745 tomorrow just to catch it so I could return in time for scouts! (this is unheard of in carrie world) My boss made fun of me a little about the rain, but I figure all in all I'm doing my part, and that's all you can ask. I mean, except asking me to take shorter showers. I am, admittedly, very bad at that, but I'm trying!

I have been thinking "I'm all into being green. My friends know it. Everyone who reads my blog knows it. What WILL I tell them for earth day?" and the answer is this--do everything you possibly can. CFLs and reusable bags and recycling are a given. They're easy. And then comes repurposing and turning off the lights (a hard habit to start!) and conserving water. Eventually you'll starting thinking about composting and local buying and considering the cradle to grave cycle. Or even buying biodegradable bags for your pet poo. But EVERY piece along the way counts. all of 'em.

Also, fun Carrie-thing o' the day...so the aveda thing I told you about? Well, I asked Matt to keep an eye out for caps. He already does because we do the whole coke rewards thing, since my grandparents taught me to take advantage of everything I can since it will help me afford the things I want. But anyway. Tonight Matt brought over two of the 12-pack ends from his fellow teacher Sara, and then another quart bag FULL of coca cola bottle caps. He's the teacher sponsor of the recycling committee, and they brought a bunch of sorted recyclables to his room, so he sorted through the bag and took off all the caps, which are non-recyclable, and kept to coke ones. wow. I think we need to find something to save up for! Anyway!

earth day.
I'll end with a few comics I liked, as showcase on the daily green, whose website is totally worth the emails--sign up! some are sad, but more importantly, some are SO TRUE. yikes. click to make 'em bigger. and enjoy!





1 comments:

Maria said...

I announced to Kevin yesterday that I will be taking the bus this summer to work. I'm not sure how I'd work it with dropping The Boy off at daycare, but I am looking in to that. It's about a mile to his daycare, and I think I could walk that each morning and catch the bus right there if I leave his stroller, but I need to talk to his new daycare to see if I can leave the stroller there. I figure it would save me quite a bit-- especially with the ozone alert, ride for 50 cents or free days.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio