Wednesday, August 20, 2008

roadtrip-day 11

okay, home stretch!!! one more day to go!

we woke up, piled our belongings back into the car and searched for a place for me to take my mississippi pictures. this took longer than we though.

first we went to elvis presley lake which was just a short drive from our hotel. there wasn't much that I really really liked here, but we drove around a little bit and saw signs and a pinecone and a really distressing can that was too far off the pier for me to reach. :(
then we tried elvis presley's birth place. we met 13 year old elvis, who was HOT! literally. and took all sorts of car and surroundings pictures. and went to the gift store where we obtained a plastic cup and a christmas tree ornament!

and we were on our merry way. while making the trek through 'bama we saw a sign that directed you to "twin," so OF COURSE I wanted a picture with it. that required turning around--and at the next exit it just so happened that there was a second sign I wanted a picture with. see if you can guess why...



when we went to alabama in may for mary alise and michael's wedding we had wanted to see the vulcan statue but opted instead to see the ram's head storyteller one. we also wanted to eat at dreamland, which pretty much everyone told us was amazing. so, we did. thank you kindly, jack m. garmin.

the vulcan was first. we went from the backside (we didn't know it was the back!) and had to move our car, but that was okay. it looked like it was going to rain something fierce so they wouldn't let us ride up in it, but the view was still pretty spectacular. oh yeah AND I got in trouble for "raising my camera in the air" in this weather. yeah, lightning is going to strike li'l ol me, not the gigantic iron statue. suuuuuuuure. by the way, the vulcan statue has ALL SORTS of history, including some involving mccain. it used to have a beacon that would turn red every time a birmingham citizen died in a car accident, and he's been used as all sorts of things. oh, and by the way? it's the world's largest cast iron statue. so that is YET ANOTHER world's largest. rock.

next was dreamland. mmmmm bbq. and I was pleasantly surprised that the served chicken! I had some of matt's ribs as well, but I was glad for my chicken sandwich and sweet tea! (I'm not a pork fan. at all.)


we went to anniston, al to see the world's largest chair and an alabama-shaped reflecting pool, and then went to atlanta.

here we had dinner at the varsity, which was HUGE! "what'll ya have! what'll ya have!" that's what they yell at you! it is the world's largest drive in restaurant. we also walked to this huge torch tower thingie that we assume was built for the atlanta olympics, but info on it was vague at best. we each had one of the varsity's specials--I had the F-O, the Frosted Orange, and Matt had a naked dog. we also saw a weiner-mobile.

then we went to find some statue, which was in an awkward spot and hard to see and poorly lit--AND it was raining cats and dogs, so we went on to our next place, the first waffle house ever built. it has been a chinese restaurant for a while but they're re-doing it to it's original diner decor. The pictures didn't turn out great but it was fun nonetheless!



and then, augusta, here we come. it was late when we got there but rosemary (matt's mom) stayed up until around 130 just talking with us about our adventures. it was sweet. after the talking, let me tell you, I was THRILLED to get to sleep. :) honestly, I kind of wish I were asleep right. this. second. anyway, that is day number 11!

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio