Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"I'll say Lord, pardon me, but I'd rather be, down with those Kappa Delt-Delt-Delt-Delt-Delts!"

~toast to mary alise from her sisters

let's just start off with this. I think it's my very favorite picture from the night.


Matt and I got ready and got there early since I was reading a scripture. I am SO GLAD the hotel had a printer, because the version in the church's Bible said something about "putting on bowels of mercy" and "and so do ye" and there was no way I was getting through that with a straight face. I sat with Mary Alise and her bridesmaids while the guests arrived. The sunlight was pretty and I took some pictures--of her S-I-L and niece and friend's daughter with her, of Michael's baptism cap, of her and me, of her and the bridesmaids...and then it was time to go in!

Jill, the other reader, and I were very nervous--not about the 400+ guests in the church but about the microphone--it wasn't on and no one told us when it would be turned on. Also, we couldn't get the stand to raise up anymore and we thought holding the paper would be tacky, so when I read (first, mind you) my hair kept falling in my face! But I went slow and they seemed to like it. :)

The ceremony was BEAUTIFUL. Quick and lovely. Poor Michael was adorably nervous, looking back and forth like he was watching a tennis match. Everyone came in when they were supposed to and no one forgot the rings, though one of the bridesmaids fainted at the end--but she was fine. And then they were Mr & Mrs!

Next was this reception, and I kid you not--it was incredible. I think I was expecting something like Chris and Ariel's reception from March 06 since they were both larger weddings in places with a lot of tradition and history--but this was very different, but just as awesome! They went fabulously way overboard on the food but simple with the decorations other than lots of flowers. I didn't even get to see the cake (they cut it when they got there while most of us were busy at the buffet!) and I almost missed the first dance!

and then, while I was stocking up on beef wellington and some yummy cheese thing and fruit and fried green tomatoes, etc, at the buffet, a little girl who couldn't've been more than nine stopped me and said "oh! you read the scripture, right? you did a really really good job!" is it weird that that kind of made my day?

We sat with Jill and her husband (the blonde one in a bunch of pics, who by the way was also their "Raleigh friend") and took lots of pictures! And I learned right away that the table o' pink lemonades had no alcohol in 'em. I think everyone thought they were martinis. Not so much. However, the bartender lady MORE than made up for them. The drinks they served us were STIFF. Like, they'd pour the gin or jack first to 2/3 of the way up, add a splash of tonic or coke and then put the ice in. Holy schmoly, kids, those were some dangerous beverages. By the end of the night we were purposefully avoiding that woman because we were all gonna be on our butts if we didn't!



oh, and I learned a new KD toast, and did it with the Alabama KDs. This is the, what, third wedding where I've been the KD that didn't go to school with the bride--and at this one and Jessica's, I didn't know the song (or know it the same way). But Eleanor wrote it down for me, so I learned it. And it was great 'cause there were two non-bridesmaids, and we were both wearing green. Very KD. :) Matt couldn't get a good picture because of the videographer's light, but he got some beforehand.



Anyhoodle, the night wore on, we danced to some motown, we took pictures, and matt and I had to dance with really small steps to avoid hitting anyone near us there were so many people. Her dad did the Elvis windup thing again and I got a few email addresses so I could share my pictures with them. And I got a picture with Pumpkin, who also wore a green dress. OOOH AND--for those of you who know Michael, I forgot to tell you--his nickname from his family is "Little Piece of Sugar." Awwww...let me tell you, his fraternity brothers are NEVER going to let that go. EVER. here's the motown guys with their hand motions!


Oh and--these were their favors. They also had koozies, but I don't have a picture of them. There were all sorts of "roll tide!" and clemson fight song stuff going on throughout the night. It was pretty awesome.


We partied until about 11, when we wished the bride and groom well. Next was up to the hospitality suite to drink even more beer and so I could collect my pashmina I'd loaned the maid of honor. We talked to Michael's step-mom a lot, and Matt told her that her mom had been lying to her all her life--there was no way she was as old as she says she is (seriously people, it's possible they might be telling her lies!). And when Matt said "You'll have to ask your mother" Sarah said "she's right there, you do it!" and he DID. Aunt Nancy (I think) also made Matt dance the shag with her in the middle of the party.



I sure hope everyone drank plenty of water before going to bed. I know we did!

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio