Monday, May 07, 2012

things I hope to teach small fry some day. and all of our little frylings, too.

I'm sure I'll never think of them all. Ever, ever.

but the state in which I live is considering a very important constitutional amendment tomorrow. one that makes me think of all of the hate and close-mindedness that existed in oklahoma. and it just makes me shake my head and wonder why people's mothers didn't teach them any better.

so.

1. The golden rule. Do unto others as you would have others do undo you.

This is simple and covers a myriad of (potential) sins. Be kind. Smile. Share. Welcome. Love.

2. Do your best to avoid excluding others.

This could be covered by #1. But I think it deserves its own number. When I was younger my mom insisted that Anna and I both get invited to do things unless there were extenuating circumstances. It made for some really awkward moments where I had to call and ask my friend if Anna could please come to the pool party or whatever. Now, as a grown-up, I try to make sure I invite everyone I can. I try to make time for people. I try to talk to people who seem uncomfortable or out of place. Because it's important to me.

I want it to be important to the rest of my family, too.

3. Love. Accept. Encourage. Support. Respect.

I'm not sure this really needs an explanation, but it's getting one anyway. People are people. They are beings that deserve and are entitled to just as much space (physical and otherwise) as you. You may not agree with them. You may think their habits or choices or lifestyles are very different than what you would choose or embrace for yourself. It's okay to feel like you'd want something different--our differences are part of what make humanity incredible! It's okay to respect someone's right to choose even though you'd never choose that yourself. But it is not okay to hate. Or discriminate. Or judge. And that last one is probably the hardest of all.

It breaks my heart every time I see evidence of the self-importance of people. I disagree quite fervently with many people's opinions, political views, lifestyle choices and even, sometimes, their religion. Heck, I disagree with some aspects of my husband's religion, my future-godmother-of-my child's religion, and EVEN MY OWN RELIGION. But I, for one, agree to disagree. And for two, understand that everyone is entitled to their opinions/beliefs/ideas. But I want Small Fry to know how crucial it is that we all treat each other with kindness.

and now, we get a little less heavy....

4. There are hundreds of different colors that are classified as green or blue or yellow. And likewise, many many skin colors, eye colors, etc. that all get lumped into just a few. I want them to see them all and understand that crayola crayons are not the definitive answer. :)

5. The most valuable thing you have or are is YOU. And no one can ever take that away from you.

6. Music and math are the universal languages. Learn to speak them. Small Fry WILL learn to read music.

7. And speaking of reading, I want Small Fry to learn about the joys of reading. If he/she is anything like me, they will be an avid reader. And I want to reinforce that early. :)

8. Take good care of yourself. Wear sunscreen. Drink lots of water. Take your vitamins. This is the only body you've got--if you don't maintain it, you'll pay for it later.

9. Leave things better than they were when you found them. Thank you, Girl Scouts, for teaching me this. It applies to all things--places you visit, the earth as a whole, people you encounter. And it's one of my own personal little mantras. :)


0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio