Tuesday, September 01, 2009

okay, so I haven't talked about anything green in a while

but I think maybe I've been avoiding it. because, well, you see...Matt's dad reads this blog (hi George!) and lots of boys read this blog and I still tend to whisper the word "tampon."

but it is time.

and if you're squeamish about the topic then please just don't read. :)

since, oh...april-ish I've tried something new in the world of feminine hygiene. I've started using The Diva. I am highly amused by its name, because, well, if you're using one of these then you're kind of being the opposite of a Diva, but whatever!

So, Wikipedia can tell you all about the way it works and some interesting facts--like the first menstrual cup-type item was patented in 1932!

so. I shelled out $38ish for this at my local organically minded grocery store.  I'm sure I've already saved more than that by not buying tampons--and it's good for ten years. But I kind of made a deal with myself--I was totally chicken about trying it, and I convinced myself that I HAD to try it for three cycles--and if I didn't like it I could go back to the tampons, because, well, I wouldn't want to add more misery to that time of the month, you know? But I owed it to my eco-friendliness to try.

I have to tell you, the first three days were WEIRD. And, well, a little messy. I didn't ruin any clothes or anything, but I did end up using some extra tissues.  But now that I've got the hang of it? I LOVE it. And I have zero intention of going back.

It's easier.
Now it's less messy.
I don't have to worry about leaks or if my tampon in full.
I don't create lots and lots of waste!

And, of course the A #1 reason I tried to try it--in addition to being wallet friendly it is very, very eco-friendly. (Yeah, it's made of plastic. But sometimes it's the best option! Plastic is just overused. Anyway)

fun facts:

-Switching from tampons to a menstrual cup has the same environmental impact as switching to reusable bags!
-something like12 billion sanitary pads and 7 billion tampons are dumped into the North American environment each year. Diva cups eliminate the pads and the tampons!
-Diva cups do not contain surfactants, adhesives, additives, polyethylene or dioxin. Or bleach. Or other scary chemicals that leach into groundwater. And for that matter--those things that leach into the groundwater? Yeah, you're putting them in direct contact with your skin and some sensitive areas--doesn't sound so brilliant, eh?

-There are no wrappers or applicators. There's one carton/box--and then you're good for ten years.

If you're someone who "doesn't like the sight of blood?" Well, let me assure you that this is different altogether. I mean, it's not a wound, and it's supposed to be there. If you can handle tampons and pads you can handle this.

And yeah, it's a little messy at first. And I'd be fibbing if I said it wasn't kind of gross at first too. But not any grosser than a tampon or pad! (well, once you get the hang of it) And since I empty mine less often than I changed tampons, I figure the net grossness is definitely less. :)

But you know what? I LOVE it. I feel better using it than I ever did with tampons. There's no dryness from using too high of an absorbency or removing a tampon too soon.  I was super-afraid of leaking the first time I used my Diva--but it didn't and it hasn't. I've played catcher with it in, and believe me ladies, if anything's gonna leak, that's the time. 

Long story short:
Go get a menstrual cup. Just try it. It's better for you, better for the environment and better for your pocket.  The end. :)





5 comments:

M. said...

Thank you for such an honest review! I'll get around to it ... eventually.

Ashley said...

I've heard about this several times, and I even looked it up online once to see how much it was. I'm seriously thinking about getting one thanks to your review of it!

Jennifer said...

Love this post! I researched the topic and bought a Diva cup last month. Great review, and I'll have my own thoughts soon!

Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

Yeah. There are actually several different kinds with slightly different compositions, shapes, sizes like MoonCup and The Keeper, too.

Misha said...

I am so thoroughly disgusted by this. If that makes me a bad person, I am sorry. It is just way out there for me.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio