Wednesday, May 27, 2009

what's on my mind...

is my hair.

I am calling the place today to see what can be done. I like them and will totally go back and have it cut there again, but....the cut isn't really what I asked for and the color isn't either. I asked for anything but darker (it's darker) and I looked at the pictures I showed her and what I ended up with and the difference is, well, noticeable.

it's not that the cut isn't cute--it is. and thanks for all the positive comments, folks, because I needed it.

but this cut is not functional.
and I don't love it.
and most importantly? it doesn't feel like "me." I don't look like me. I look like someone else.
and that is the most upsetting of all.

also, having short hair confirmed my theory (and this is for you, gurdas) it seems that ~90% of males are opposed to the idea of women having shortshort hair. they may not be aware of it, and they may not be willing to admit it, BUT--it seems to be an automatic reaction. I'm just saying.

so, I'm not going to research things to eat that make your hair grow faster (okay, maybe I will a little, but no crazy stuff, promise), and I'm going to buy some cute headbands (suggestions?), and I'm going to try not to be frustrated. I have to admit I'd probably be quite a bit less rash about this if my bangs weren't stupidly ugly and short, but such is life. I still can't believe people cut their bangs that short. On purpose. She's the third stylist to try and do that for me. I mean, there are just a few people who look good with bangs that short, and if you're one of them count your lucky stars. But seriously?

ps: you don't get any kind of an idea that they're too short in the picture. but they really, really are. anyway.

think "grow quickly" thoughts towards my hair. I just want longer layers and the ability to put more than 1/4 of my hair back. and longer bangs. and for it to not be so damn DARK.

I know they can't magically lengthen my hair (well not in a way I'm going to agree to, anyway) but maybe they can do something about the color. And then maybe that will help.

Carrie=still frustrated. not crying anymore, but still frustrated.

and? also frustrated that I'm spending this much time and emotion thinking about my damn HAIR. I am not a think-about-my-hair-a-lot kind of girl, so this is extra n.o.f.u.n. for me. :(

9 comments:

Turner said...

What's with the "90% of males...." stuff? I'd suggest that 90% of males really don't care about a woman's hair provided she isn't bald or it isn't falling out in clumps.

Nicole Faby said...

I took prenatel vitamins (advice from my hairdresser, you can buy them at target) for years to help my hair grow long! You could of course get pregnant that would really make it grow ;)

care said...

@turner--fair enough. and I think you're right, sorta. It's 90% of the *good* ones that don't care about a woman's hair. You're a good one, you know? But men in general, gotta say, I think most of them are predisposed to disliking short hair. (not that by disliking short hair you're automatically not a good guy, but I'm just saying)

@nicole. hmmm...might have to try that. thanks for the suggestion! but might have to tell matt seventeen times that I'm NOT hinting! :)

@anyone with crazy short bangs: I am sure they look lovely on you, and no offense intended. How the hell do you style them so they aren't a spiky mess?

Jax said...

I did notice it looked a little darker but just thought you'd wanted it that way. That said, it looks cute, but I would tell them to fix that for sure! Although, I usually just eat the money and go somewhere else when someone did my hair in a way I didnt like. I dont want to go back at all b/c to me the likelihood of them getting it right the second time is well.. not high in my mind. Plus, once you dye it again, you wont want to do it anymore b/c it will damage your hair. So, just make sure you're getting what you want, chica!

Sucks about the bangs. I could see it looking really sassy with some sexy, long bangs. You know I like it the way it is, but the bangs seem to be the issue. I say go somewhere else you can trust (personally, I ask strangers with good hair where they went sometimes), have the color lightened, take some multivitamins and rock it! :)

Misha said...

I actually really love the length... it is too bad that you aren't enjoying it. I want the same length eventually. I have hair almost to my waist and have promised myself if I get to my goal weight I am chopping it all off. So now you are making me reconsider.

Try coloring it lighter. Maybe then you will enjoy the length more. I remember when you had your hair this short in college and it was cute.. but you were definitely blonde back then!

care said...

@jax. yes it really is the bangs. I think I would be way happier if I liked them! but I do think I'll go back, I really liked the people and it was my first time there, sooo...yeah. I jsut need to figure out how to be patient in the meantime.

@misha. wowzers, I've never seen your hair that long! you'll lost like 5 pounds cutting it off. :) in college the length was the same but I didn't have bangs and the layers were about 1.5 inches longer. I LOVED that cut, thanks!

I don't want to discourage you--just make sure you tell them exactly what you want, and you will be fine. I should have said "I want long bangs and I don't want the layers quite so short." But I didn't. I am definitely happy with the overall length though, I just want the layers and bangs a bit longer. :)

I want to see before and after pics, missy! are you going to donate your hair?

melissa said...

dude, i second the pre-natal vitamins. have been taking them for a couple of months now and noticed a SERIOUS difference pretty quickly.

also, last year i had a similar experience: got a haircut that would've looked cute on someone, just not me. and i couldn't really be mad because it was similar to what i wanted, but not actually what i had in mind. and that SUCKS. so, without any words of encouragement ('cause i cried too... a whole lot), i can just say that i feel you, dude. i feel you. grow grow grow thoughts from me to you. :)

gurdas said...

Stumper, you need to give the sample size, mean, and 95% confidence interval on your theory about "90% of males are opposed to the idea of women having shortshort hair" before we can confirm it.
:-)
I could count a few women with short hair that I like. But, bald is not my types. Specially, when I have hair longer than most women!!

care said...

um, no. its summertime. my brain doesn't have to do stats. :)

also, y'all do realize that most women who are bald aren't really *choosing* to be bald, right? I assume you're speaking of those who choose that as a 'do.

and I talked to the hair folks, and on tuesday she's going to try to fix it a bit for me-not the girl who did it before, but the lady who has been cutting hair for 20 years.

and, thank goodness because today is a decent hair day. :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio