Thursday, October 02, 2008

carrie's down in her basement, all toe-shoed and twinned

~counting crows

my freshman year of college, first semester, I spent a night hanging out with two guys from high school that I figured I'd NEVER see again. eddie f. and rick d. we hung out in my first twin towers room, one of the "coffin rooms" that I shared with tamara who was on probation for beating up a police officer and who wore the same pair of too-small silk pajamas every night, and who ripped said pajamas in an unfortunate place. did I mention she didn't wear underwear and stole my makeup? yeah. okay, back on track...the music makes me think of that because eddie was the one who introduced me to their new album. I'm pretty sure he gave it to me on the spot. He said "you have GOT to hear this song. I think they wrote it about you!" not true, but good sentiment, says the former ballerina with a twin.

anyway, sorry for THAT trip down memory lane...but that's where "this desert life" makes me go.

there or my memories of renee and jessica who would come visit me at TU. we'd hang out and eat mazzios and do crafty things. and listen to counting crows. I was OBSESSED with them. I love them still.

so last night, because renee heard them and thought of me, I listened to them while I did my homework, and did more listening while at work today. yay!

yesterday was our company-wide picnic to celebrate our 50th anniversary, and the man said something that I'm pretty sure will stick with me for the rest of my life. he said something about how the world would be a better place, for instance, I could figure out how to have me be me while letting you be you.

let that sink in, k? I heart it.

let Christians be Christians, but leave the Jews and Muslims, etc to practice their religions. Have Americans be Americans while still letting Africans be Africans and Indians be Indians, you know? I mean, it's like if we could just be happy being OURSELVES then maybe we could stop trying to force everyone else to be like us. There's not one right way. (and if you think there is, perhaps you need to step back and see the bigger picture, no offense)

while at the picnic I also collected my photos and my ribbon. see? yes, I am completely bragging. but the last time I won first place in a competition (not an election or scholarship, mind you) was probably when I won the science fair two years in a row in middle school. well...there was when I won keeper of the ashes @ tallchief, so I guess that would count too. but anyway, yeah. big deal. yay, me!

and this morning in my house it was deliciously chilly. I LOVED it. I am SO looking forward to getting our electric bill this month. We've been running fans occasionally, but I don't think we've had on our AC since...um...more than two weeks ago? AWESOME.

This weekend is Matt's 10 year high school reunion. I am excited and nervous. I mean, I'm fine with people, not that really...except that what if Matt is chatting with some dude (or chick) from high school and I try to talk to someone else and they're a TOTAL dud? I get anxious when I only know one person. Maybe I can bring a big enough purse and just slip a magazine inside of it? Matt told me he's excited that I'm coming with, and he's going to be amused at the responses when I tell people what I do. Some people are like "oh, cool." But some people hear the term "chemical engineer" or "air quality engineer" and suddenly go straight to "brainiac." aaaand there's the occasional person who asks me if I know how to make crystal meth or bombs. let's hope none of those people are there, hmm?

I also figure if push comes to shove I can ask "what was matt like in high school?" maybe? At least there will be alcohol at the event, I'll get to wear cute shoes AND matt's parents have a hot tub so we'll get to enjoy that even if the event is a bust.

oh and bad news bears--my new eco-friendly frames are supercute BUT they are simply too wide for my face. :( janice is going to see if she likes them, and if not, I'll be making friendly with the frames at my eye doctor's. I have ~$800 in flex spending left since the people overestimated my surgery cost by A LOT, so new glasses are totally in the budget.

2 comments:

KaritaG said...

I, too, love counting crows. And amen on the being you and letting everyone else be them. And our electric bill yesterday was 1/3 of what it was all summer, thank blog!

The Writer said...

Guess what?

I see the Counting Crows in concert tonight. How crazy is that?!

And I was just thinking how I might do a music themed blog title like you do when I post about the concert.

Crazy!

Have a great weekend!!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio