Thursday, August 14, 2008

"you can't save the world, olivia."

Last night Matt and I met Olivia and Adam at City Beverage. Our garmin, Jack, tried to send us to winston-salem, but we made it without his help (but with o's!). We had SO much fun trying yummy beers and eating the "lighter fare" and chit chatting. And, of course, O and I talked A LOT about being green. If you know her, you know she was firmly on the green bandwagon before I was. I mean, I've been sort of in that mindset my whole life, but between her schooling and all she got way into the horticultural side of it FAST. And she's part of what inspired me to do more. :)

We talked about how people have told both of us that we can't save the world. That our efforts are so insignificant compared to, say, the islands of plastic in the ocean or commercial food production or the emissions generated by petroleum refineries. We talked about how you don't have to be a saint, but you sure as hell can try. and how she has that very same book that jackie gave me.

And our response to the nay-sayers? "You just watch me."

We wish Obama would have campaign tshirts made of organic cotton or bamboo or any eco-friendly fiber, we wish more home owner's associations would tolerate drying your clothes on a line and using your front yard as a garden, and we wish that people would realize that there are a BAZILLION things you can do to contribute and just take one little step.

I told her about baggus, bokashi composting, biobags and making your own laundry detergent. She told me about her plants and garden and her professor and school.

it was fun.

she told me of a new book to read--Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Once Adam is done with it I'll be borrowing it. I also felt inspired to find out where the closest library is--I have been TERRIBLE about using the library. I have not gone once while living in NC. And you know what? There is one three miles from my house. THREE. taking a class is going to cut into my reading-for-fun time, but that doesn't mean I can't still use the library. Next week or weekend I'm going to apply for a card. :) I love love love having my own books, but maybe I should limit that to purchasing ones I know I'll want to read again or share instead of just buying them so I can read 'em, hmm?

2 comments:

KaritaG said...

OMG I am so bad about books, too, every time we move I end up donating huge BOXES of books to libraries/schools...Jason's like, dude, go to the library already!

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

animal, vegetable, miracle is the MOST inspirational book i have read in a very long time. i hope you enjoy it as much. and thanks for the recipe for eco-friendly laundry detergent!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio