Monday, June 30, 2008

all. tuckered. out.

other possible options for this post were "shades of green" or "he's very tactile!"

so, after my friday night packing freak out (full on panicking, let me tell you), and after matt painting the yellow wall which took FOREVER, saturday AM we got up at SEVEN (yes, really!), showered and headed out to get some bruegger's and the truck. Matt's CDL got us a twenty buck discount if we took the 26 footer, so we did. It was HUGE. The wheels went most of the way up my my abdomen. CRAZY!

then our WONDERFUL friends came over--Luke, Julie, Jason, Bree, Chelsea and Amos. They were AMAZING. Seriously, I just expected to get, like, the bed, sofa and china cabinet and some boxes, but they were like "let's fill the truck!" So we did! Julie and Bree even went around putting things into extra boxes as it was possible to do so--I was just overwhelmed by their helpfulness!!! Especially because afterwards there were three stories to fill!

I did have an awful part of this move though--when my neighbor caddy-corner and a few houses down was trying to park behind my car (which was admittedly about 1.5 feet into the "no parking" area) and was talking on her cellphone, and as I went to grab things from my car I thought I was in her way to get in her driveway, so I asked if she needed me to move so she could get by. The lady said "yes, could you move your car?" I said "well, um, I'm moving and my car is full and I live right there, so, um--" and she cut me off and was like "oh, well you understand then, we're in the same situation. I have this box (a staples box maybe with reems of paper) to take in and the cleaning people are in my driveway so I can't park there so yeah, just move your car, thanks."

I was FURIOUS. Mostly because I offered to move because she was a) about to hit my car (seriously) and b)I thought I was keeping her from getting in her driveway. I fumed about this for a while and if she ever tries to talk to me I'm either not speaking to her at all or saying "yeah, that was awkward, huh? how I was moving into my house in the heat of the day and you had me move my car because you had ONE box and the cleaning person's vehicle was in your driveway--and did I mention I was parked in a COMMUNITY SPOT?!?" ugh. she deserves a bad haircut, and maybe for the heel to break off her favorite pair of shoes. yeah, I'm serious.

anyway, so, moved and moved and moved and moved. I served as director for a little while (they asked me to so they'd know where things went!) and around 1pm we had everything either in the proper area or in the garage/basement. I'm SO amazed we accomplished so much! They really are troopers.

when we were inside and having a beer break I realized that I had gotten a sunburn. a BAD sunburn. In two minute increments. I *think* I haven't been burned this badly since one of the lambda chi volleyball tournaments. Okay, maybe one of the times at the beach, but I don't think so. My shoulders are red and ouchy. Matt got me some Aveda Rosemary Mint lotion which apparently helps a lot with sunburns (and feels really, really nice!).

We ate a mexican food snack (I really wanted guac!), grabbed a few things from my apt (and the kitties!) and went back to our new place. Gobi and Hazel were freaked out by the new place at first, but already they're settling in. Gobi loves all of the high-up places he can go and Hazel is happy as a clam as long as she knows where I am--she's really worried I'll leave her there and not come back!

That evening Marla came over to help organize the kitchen (which was a GIGANTIC HELP), then Matt and I got sushi and edamame, ate it, cleaned up a little, showered and crashed. This was also when we found out the drain didn't work properly--by the end of my shower I was in 5 inches of standing water! And it was 1245 when we went to sleep. We think our tiredness made us go in slow-mo!

Sunday we woke up at 11 (I told you we were exhausted--I think we coulda slept until 1!), grabbed breakfast and headed to Lowes. Again. Draino, ceiling fan, closet stuff, etc. We also found out there's a sale on the paint I've been using so we'll be buying what we need of it before the end of the day on Wednesday! I had to shower in the guest bathroom (which also had a slow drain but not as bad) and hurry on over to Nicole's shower. It was a LOT of fun! See: pics! Yay for Nicole!


We played an inappropriate game involving a roll of toilet paper and a broom (hint: someone was a guy and someone was a girl!) and told stories about nicole and drank A LOT of champagne (five bottles or more between us. six? seven?) and some boones farm! Oh, and I got to wear a toilet paper dress. too funny!

And then after more collecting o' things from my apt matt and I played a game of musical furniture. We're still having trouble with our living room--the TV can't be too far away and we don't want to cut off the space. We'll see how it pans out.

And then Patty, Darren and Davis came over to bring us food and beer! Seriously, I don't know when I was so thrilled to see food ever before. Matt and I were hungry, but more importantly we were (and are) SO TIRED so this really, really hit the spot. It was DELISH, too! I've already asked for the recipe. I think everyone should have this dish in their repertoire --it's called Botanas I think. beans, meat, chips, cheese, tomatoes, onions with avocado and onions on top, holy moly. SO good after such hard days. mmm mmm mmm. and you know someone is a good friend when they think to bring you beer AND a lime, too. :D yay for Patty! (and Darren and Davis--and by the way Davis is the tactile one. I held him for a bit and he kept nuzzling his head into my neck/chest and grabbing--my shoulder, my boob, my face. he's very tactile!)

we went to target in the rain to buy all sorts of stuff and then installed our curved shower bar. matt almost punched the wall in fury, but we managed to get it attached. and then he made me stand in the shower so we could see how much bigger it was. it made me giggle. this was kind of matt's present for the new house (he got me an umbrella for the deck!) because he LOVES showers. :)

and then, slumber. thank goodness. tonight I don't know what we'll tackle, but we will. Oh, and since you've gotten this far, more pictures...

and no, we didn't paint it a mustard color on purpose. but it's awful close! we're still not 100% sure about the yellow--it's VERY bright. and the colors near the fridge look VERY different than they do in the breakfast nook! and matt bought me those flowers on saturday since they matched the kitchen. he is ADORABLE, people. adorable.

(oh, and. he is a mustard-a-holic. like he SMOTHERS things in mustard. he will eat it straight from the bottle. that is his big container and it's about 7/8 empty. we also have two squeeze bottles that are family size PLUS my normal size one. I am so not kidding.)

5 comments:

Maria said...

What in the you know what are you doing with that much mustard? I thought maybe you put the mustard label on the paint container? YIKES!

KaritaG said...

I like mustard too!

The house looks gorgeous!

And, please share your recipe. That sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

I love the "she deserves a bad haircut" you always make me laugh with that... I love the photos! They're just so happy and bright...and make me happy, too! I cant WAIT to come see it! Must schedule something.. Granted, with airfare the way it is, I'd be better to wait til I grow wings, but whatev... :) Please keep posting pics, chica!

And..cute pics from the shower. :)

melissa said...

matt bought you aveda. he just earned ten billion cool points.

and i want one of those curved shower curtain things but jake refuses to attempt the installation since we won't be in that house much longer. *sigh*

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

your house is beautiful!!!!! i also choose the wonderful, bright warm colors for my walls! it makes me very happy to walk into a room :)

please post the recipe for the yummy looking dish your friends brought you! it does look dee-lish!

pet the kitties for me and congrats!!!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio