Thursday, May 22, 2008

a shout out to my sisters.

so, in case you haven't read my about me, or haven't been reading very long, or just don't know, I am a kappa delta.

I am very proud to be one, and very loyal to my sorority-of-choice, but I also appreciate the bigger picture, that my chi-o and gamma phi and alpha chi and tri-sig (and other twenty one NPC sorority) friends are kind of my sisters, too. more like cousins, if you will. And I know some fantastic women in other sororities. :)

But today, for the umpteenth-gazillionth time, I am reminded why I am glad to be a kaydee. There are so many things I could tell you--about my pin and my initiation and what my granny said after it, or the amazing amazing response of my sisters when my father passed away my freshman year, or about when I got an award at homecoming, or when I got my itsy and wittle, or the moments I shared with my sisters, or the times they tried to teach me (how to dance, how to wear makeup, how to dress, how to drink more and study less (ahem, kara g., gina and bueno. and then del and my itsy and misha) , or about my incredible grandlittles, or fun parties or formals or functions or the birthday flyers all over campus on my twenty-first or graduations or dealing with the awful thing my senior year or anything--but that's not the point today.

No, today, I'm just kind of overwhelmed by two things. I continue to be amazed by the support and love and attention that the KDs I know give to their sisters--whether it's for something exciting like a new job or an engagement, or something more unfortunate. I have two sisters dealing with very different but equally unpleasant circumstances--one who just had radical surgery because she is yet again battling cancer, and another whose mother is suffering from cancer. And I have seen these women I know go far, FAR out of their way to support those in need. I've seen them do it for me. And for others. For women they hardly even know yet. And it just makes me so proud and humbled to be associated with people like that.

And then, on a happier note, recently I've had the privilege of going to not one but two weddings of very close friends of mine. Very close Kappa Delta sisters of mine. I've known Marla for nearly two years and Mary Alise for going on three. And at each of their weddings I've gotten the same question, how do you know the bride? And when I get to tell them how I know them, and how we became friends, it makes me superhappy to be a KD (and an active alumna) all over again.

All the time I feel like I'm telling people how great it is to be a KD, how much I learned and how much support I've gotten, and how many wonderful friends I've made. The list is LONG, people. Long enough that Matt once asked me "how in the world do you manage to keep up with so many friends? I mean--the KDs here, and in Alaska and Texas and Oklahoma and Florida and where else?!?" And it makes me smile every single time!

I just--you know how sometimes you have those moments where you're like "damn, this is a good thing?"--well I just think I'm really having one of those is all...counting blessings and whatnot. :)

5 comments:

KaritaG said...

I always looked at it like, your grades were the end result of an investment of time and money.

The money is a constant in college. So the less time you can invest, and still ultimatley get the same grade, the better deal you are getting.

RIGHT?!

Patty said...

Amen and AOT sister!!

Maria said...

I think that the BCR is also influenced by the outcome of learning, which cannot always be measured in a grade, because some of that output is actually the measure of life-lessons and not just academics.

:)

care said...

you know, I still love it that the semester I took the hardest classes of all (first semester junior year) and drank the very most (though admittedly the next three semesters weren't a far cry from this one) is also the semester that I got my one and only four point. :)

and when I drank the least (first semester freshman year) I made my worst grades.

lesson learned.

Gurdas said...

Hmmm... maybe I should start drinking to get better grades.. what say you?

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio