Tuesday, May 06, 2008

let me get this straight...

so, even though my youth group members disagree, we are still in a drought. we are. it's a fact. yes, we have more water, and no, we aren't talking about only a month or two or three's worth of supply. but still. we're in a drought.

and now the city of durham does this. hike up the price of water? fair enough. I mean, it's how things are going. The cost of everything else is rising AND we're in a drought--okay. I get it.

but wait, what's that? it costs more to use outdoor spigots than to use indoor faucets? WHAT? I was totally unaware of this. so when I water my container garden during the approved watering times (or when I turn plastic bottles into drip irrigators and I fill them up) I'm doing it indoors. because it costs almost TWICE as much to fill 'em up outdoors. And I think that's pretty whack.

5 comments:

KaritaG said...

without knowing the details, I would almost guarantee it's to provide a disincentive for lawn irrigation. irrigation (both commercial and residential) is by far the BIGGEST WASTE of water, not to mention contaminator (think of all of the fertilizer/pesticides running off) of water, that exists in the US.

Maria said...

G wrote exactly what I was thinking. It discourages irrigation, which when you think of it, if we all stopped watering our lawns an hour (or 30 minutes) a day, we would use a ton less water and the grass would have better root systems and survive (or die) on their own... in a more natural cycle!

Oh and on my "to do list"-- Install rain barrels so we can water the lawn/plants/etc with rain water. I figure the spring in OK should fill them up nicely. :)

care said...

oh, no, you're both totally right. but I still think it's pretty dumb.

Maria said...

Speaking of water, btw, envirosax is giving away a free shower timer when you buy their bags. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Used the baggu's this weekend. The Boy loved using one as a toy and carrying them through the store for me. http://amarijohnson.blogspot.com if you want to see him with the green/olive one.

Jax said...

WOW! That' is pretty friggin crazy!!!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio