Monday, May 05, 2008

do you go with your head or go with your heart?

as all of you know, I'm looking for a townhome. I've set some guidelines for myself-a maximum price to pay with a teensy bit of wiggle room, my needs/must-haves, my no-gos, etc. And it seems like those aren't helping a lick.

Right now I'm deciding between, well, three properties, I think. One of them I am seeing tomorrow afternoon. We saw TWELVE on Saturday. The previous Friday I think I saw, what, six? So a lot. There are more, but these fit. And are in good condition, and relatively new. They don't have the character of, say, this one, but they also don't have the problems it has.

So here are my present contenders:

one. two. three.

and yes, two of those are very very similar houses. the one with the orange kitchen is my favorite. the one with the two tables is the best deal. the one with the green kitchen has the lowest taxes and HOA. the locations are all pretty similar, the ages of the people are similar, etc. there are a few differences--some are closer to grocery stores than the other, or have a pool or fireplace, or are an end unit or not, or are bigger, or will/won't need painting when I move in, but really, for carrie-purposes? all the same.

and it's making me a leeeeetle crazy. I mean, I don't have to decide today, and all in all it's gonna be just fine. earlier today I had myself all convinced I wanted the one in alexander because it was the most practical. now? I'm not sure. we'll see.

also, in case you're wondering...I am not afraid a crazy is going to track me down in two months and changed based on this blog post. If they were, I'm pretty sure that although I just made their life easier I didn't actually tell them anything they couldn't've found--I'd be in the tax records you know. But it occurred to me at first that maybe linking wasn't so brills...but in this case it doesn't exactly matter. anyway.

so now logical-deal-liking carrie is fighting fun-layout-pretty-color-loving carrie. this is one of those times when I recall being a "purple" and having a sometimes-good-for-you, sometimes-terrible mix of being logical and emotional. (logic is blue, emotional is red). Next up I'll consider feng shui and numerology to see which I can arrange in the most appeasing fashion. egads.

8 comments:

melissa said...

the one with the orange kitchen is my favorite, too. :) but as long as you're not going to bankrupt yourself paying the HOA dues and stuff (which i seriously doubt you are, i'm sure you've more than covered your bases), then just go for the one that feels right. sounds cheesy, but once you've laid the groundwork, just trust yourself to make the leap.

Unknown said...

I agree with you on the orange one. It feels the most move in ready. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm never going to be a home owner out here, so I'm totally jealous that you're thinking about taking that step.

Nick said...

Door Number #3. I agree. It's look like it's ready to move in. And the extra $60/month is nothing...considering it doesn't look like you have to do much to the house. BUT, it is kind of pricey for the sq. ft. You should get about 1 sq. ft. per $90/$100. BUT, trust your gut...Not that I'm saying you have a gut...BUT, you keep drinking all those beers and... :)

It was good to see you today, especially when there is sushi involved...

katandkarl said...

i also like the orange i must admit.

when we bought our house, there was lot of gut feeling. we looked a lot, sometimes seriously, sometimes not. when it came down to it, not only did we want it, but they wanted to sell it to us and things just kept falling into place.

ours still has some work to be done... of course. but what fun is owning if you can't make it your OWN.

M. said...

I've gotta say I love them all, so I understand why it's hard to decide.

I am completely stunned at housing prices in your area. Those townhomes would easily go for 350K here. Egads.

care said...

and? my granny agrees with the two-bedroom one, too. :)

KaritaG said...

I would go for the one that has the most instant equity (if any of them do - I don't know a lot about housing prices out there) and that you can see yourself staying in the longest. I guarantee you, no matter how move-in ready it is, you will still be making changes down the road!

Katie said...

does the one on the end have more windows? i'm a sucker for sunshine and natural light! i'm excited for you!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio