Monday, April 28, 2008

"we've got to learn to reduce, reuse, recycle..."

~jack johnson

I have NO IDEA how it's already the afternoon. where DO the days go? oh yeah, they're crazy. I spent 4.5 hours working yesterday, and it looks like I may be here late tonight too. wtf?

at least I get paid for it. yeesh.

anyhoodle. the party was FUN! I think everyone who came had a good time. I know I really enjoyed it. we ended up with two pony kegs--one of sierra nevada pale ale and the other of carolina brewing company's pale ale. one was free. :)

the dude at CBC was like "what's the occasion?" He thought it was for 4/20. Apparently I looked like a smoker while I rocked my tulsa shirt and unwashed hair, ha! I told him what the party was actually for, and after he absorbed it he was like "that's cool. WAY cool." And then kept realizing things--like he pointed out that having a keg was better since it was less packaging, and stuff like that. He was super impressed by my idea!

At the party everyone remembered their cups and recycling. A few people weren't able to make it, and people came in shifts it seemed, so the whole thing was pretty chill. This bean dip got devoured. (I used whatever cheese I had and ground turkey instead, fyi) And I went to the farmers market to get the stuff to make the tomato mozzarella bites, (or mobastom sticks, as I like to call 'em) but I didn't get to--I ran out of time!

Here are the people at the party. Like Matt and my matching shirts? He totally got his first. We totally had that little sitcom-moment at a store in myrtle beach, and while looking for an eco-shirt to wear I found a blue one. I also bought a brown shirt that said "I like trees." but it was too big, and I had to send it off to be exchanged for a smaller one. (It is SO weird. This blue shirt? It's a large. The one I had to exchange--I got a medium but I need a small. sizing of women's clothing confuses me.)

but anyway, pictures. of people. and recycling. and the amazing AMAZING strawberries I got from the farmer's market, holy smokes. they are local and INCREDIBLE. $10 for that big old container, too. Wow.

I was also really glad that I put up those christmas lights oh-so-long-ago. whenever I move next I will definitely have to do those again. matt was really good about helping out, and he's the one who remembered to plug those guys in! and poor gobi. he always gets harassed at parties. hazel isn't allowed outside, but sometimes I let mellow gobi wander around a little. luke wanted to pick him up, and then the gobes crawled over his shoulder. poor cat! it was pretty funny though!


so see the girl in the picture with me, the one with the dark hair and the turquoise/green shirt? that's jamie. And see the dude in the yellow shirt on the couch? That's bob. And guess what happened on Friday night? They got ENGAGED! Yay for Bob and Jamie!!! Her ring is amazing, and I am really happy for them. :)

Also, I want to share with you the repurposed items from the shindig. my friends kristin and larry brought the wine bottles, and then I made the recycling pin (beer bottle cap, recycle sticker, glue, nail polish [clear and with glitter] and I hot-glued on a pin back), matt and I did the checkerboard together and I made the earrings, which you've seen. My friend Nicole also brought a dog toy made out of an old tshirt, but I didn't get a picture of it.

if you want your very own pair of beer cap earrings, you just let me know, k? I need to see where I can get more hooks like those--I actually stole them from another pair of earrings I have and never wear--I last wore them when I took this picture.

and here are some ranunculus pictures. man, I love this flower. I think it's replaced sunflowers and daisies as my very favorite. 'course I pick the one that blooms for like 3 weeks a year! ha!


and because he was such a good sport, is this a great picture or what??? hazel never stays still for pictures, so there aren't any of her today. this is michelle's (my roommate) bedspread.



I also learned some little suggestions/factoids/ideas from my friends and did some other fun things...
-put your cream and sugar in your coffee cup BEFORE you pour in the coffee and then you won't need a stirrer. alternatives--use reusable stirrers (this is what I do) or buy a cup that doesn't leak (like the ones by oxo) and shake it up! each year americans throw away 138 billion straws and stirrers!!! #44 on this list of 50--check it out. that picture is part of their tshirt that represents the fifty things you can do!
-use old dishtowels as napkins. I actually cut some of mine into sixths and folded them, and those were our napkins for the par-tay!
-use plastic water bottles as drip irrigation for your plants. hammer a small hole into the lid, fill with water and suspend upside down with a tomato stake. no more droppy plants in the afternoon!
-and a garden-ee one--grow your tomatoes so that they hang down! I don't know if this is eco-friendly, but it surely is a neat idea! I'll be doing this when I plant my plants--I already have those containers up on my fence! I'm looking forward to it!

okay, back to the grindstone, dears.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Looks like an awesome party! I wish I could have been there! :)

Anonymous said...

SO FUN!! I love the shirts.. haha.. Cute. :)You make me want to be more green...I'm taking small steps...which are big steps for me.

Tonya said...

It looks like so much fun! You rock -- Carrie girl! And I would SOOO love a pair of earrings OR a pin like the ones you made -- and the checkerboard is fantastic! Oh, and G and I are organizing the garage and setting it up to be eco-friendly. They don't exactly make recycling easy out here, but we have found a few places to accept plastics now, and while it's quite a drive we mnay see if other folks just want to arrange a day for everyone to bring their plastics to work and G and I will make the drive to drop it all off. You inspire us!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio