Monday, March 31, 2008

eco-fab.

let's see, let's see... while in myrtle matt and I went into this cute little shop, I forget the name of it but I'm sure I'll remember it later. anyway, they sold localcelebrity tshirts. which are cute and made of organic cotton. and we both went to our respective gender's side of the store to look at things, and came back with the SAME SHIRT. It's this one. Pity that a medium is too snug in places for me, so I didn't get it. And they didn't have a men's small. But Matt got one, and it makes me happy. :)

I also learned (while looking for a large for me) that this shirt is a part of global green. And that you get a shirt for joining. I'm going to look into it more...but I think it looks pretty awesome.

while on vacay matt and I recycled. like, everything. I think the cleaning people thought we were crazy because they were like "oh, no, you can leave your trash, we'll take care of it." And when we explained they were for recycling, they looked at us like we had six heads.

Oh, and the chick at Old Navy was awesome--I had one of my baggubags that we'd stuffed everything in, and she was all "this is great! these bags are cute! and they fold up smaller than the ones I have--where did you get them?" And since I normally get crazy looks, this was refreshing.

ps, I still haven't gotten a plastic bag in a long time. the last day was, let's see...February 24th. and that was the express bag and the little plastic bag for my origin's body wash. I'm pretty proud of myself. :) I have realized that I need more bags though. I have three right now, and that just isn't enough.

on saturday I was kind of bummed--it was earth hour and matt wanted to go hang out with his friends. and I wanted to stay home in candlelight...we decided to go over to his friends', and THEY agreed to turn out all their lights, too! It was super fun. Chicago alone saved approx 420 tons of CO2. Pretty significant since the average person in the US produces 20 tons annually. And that's for ONE city, making a pledge to turn out the lights for ONE hour. that's a big deal!

I learned that nalgene bottles aren't exactly safe. Evidence is fishy, but they do agree that #7 plastics contain a hormone-disrupting chemical called bisphenol-A. PLUS I learned that nalgene bottles can't be recycled. The off-white ones don't have this chemical and can be recycled, but those pretty colored ones can't. Hmm. I'll be learning more about this and I'll let you know the results.

Also, I had a funfunfun idea. Earth Day is April 22nd. It's a Tuesday. Which isn't a good day for a party. But I *think* I'm going to throw an Eco-Fabulous party on the 26th. We'll get a keg of enviro-friendly beer like sierra nevada (who uses solar power for 80%ish of their energy) or something by brooklyn brewery (they're all wind power). And the keg is better than the bottle or can. (thanks for the link melissa)

To get in you'll have to bring recyclables or bulbs that have been replaced by CFLs. I'm still working on the details, but I'm EXCITED! Let me know if a)you have suggestions or b)you want to join us!

and finally, I'm really enjoying the green guide. I'm going to subscribe. :)

3 comments:

Nobody Of Note said...

like the blog!

I almost bought the "respect your mother" bumper sticker the other day... but it was 8 dollars. I would rather eat.

KaritaG said...

I switched to using Sigg aluminum bottles instead of Nalgenes, although someone one day tried to tell me there was something wrong with those too. And they are hard to wash. But no hormone-disrupting chemicals!

Maria said...

Yup-- BPA is everywhere-- including CANNED FOODS! Freak me out! I use Sigg...and have a Sigg for my son. We also use some non-BPA plastic sippys for my son, but we're switching over to Fogo.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio