Friday, March 14, 2008

"merry band of engineers and scientists"

~ my new boss

can I TELL you how excellent this is? he was asking me if I'd accepted the offer--if I was going to join the merry band of engineers and scientists. he is funny. the man SMILES. and he seems to genuinely care about his employees being happy.

I think I'm really going to like this new job...really a lot. I told my current boss today and she was nice, and happy for me, and said that she hopes it will be what I want it to be, and that she wishes I'd had the opportunity to work on a greater variety of projects. So that's good, I think. This whole transition thing is weird and I'm REALLY going to miss my neighbors in cubeville, but it just means I'll have to make a point of having lunch with them sometimes.

but yeah, this feels good. like it's the right way to go.

also, my awesome boyfriend? he just got awesomer. in case you don't know, he's a middle school science teacher. he credits me with being the cause of his recycling and reusing and reducing habits. and he likes it.

anyway, a few weeks ago they had a little thing about recycling, and since then some of his students have been WAY into it, giving people the stare down to see if they're going to recycle and sometimes even digging through the trash themselves to removed things that shouldn't've been thrown out. they did this in class on wednesday instead of his scheduled lesson because the class voted to.

and now? now the kids want to form a club, and he is in charge of it, and they're adapting a recycling program in the school, all 'cause he taught his students about it. I want to give him a gold star and a big smooch, I'm so pleased. :)

oh and? I want an in-home composter. I can't have one outdoors (apartment that you can see from the street, moving soon, etc) but I am sure I could make room for a countertop one. I'm excited! I need to learn more about their compost starter stuff though.

also, in addition to the whole less-carbon thing and the no-overscheduling thing, I've decided that for my own good, I'm going to make a HUGE effort not to get frustrated by a certain person who is occasionally a part of my life. this woman makes my blood-pressure skyrocket and my shoulders tighten every time I hear from her, get an email from her or even hear her name, and though I feel that's a very reasonable reaction, it still isn't one I want to have. So I'm going to try to stop it. do wish me luck.

tonight: bowling with the kaydees. it was a heck of a lot of fun last year, so hopefully it will be this time too.

and? HAPPY PI DAY from your nerdiest friend. and thank you toothpaste for dinner. :)

3 comments:

brooke knight said...

yay for recycling. my school has an elective for the middle schoolers called "roots and shoots" and they do nature stuff and recycling stuff on campus. it's great and they take cans monthly and stuff like that and it actually makes REVENUE (albeit not much) for the school. it's a good thing!

Katie said...

have you seen the composters that go under your sink? i think that our city will give us a composter for some small fee, so i might look into it for the spring!

Anonymous said...

I'm a dick.

3.141592654

(Because that's how many digits my calculator would display in high school.)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio