Wednesday, January 16, 2008

eco friendly? eco fabulous? eco eh?

so, I'm a skosh confused. there are two things I've thought about submitting entries to recently--one is a contest where you're supposed to tell what makes you "eco-fabulous" and the winner gets a trip and the runners up get various things from origins. the other is a real simple magazine letter-to-the-editor type thing. they want to know what eco-friendly changes you've made in your life.

now, as you know, I'm trying--I switched to CFLs, I made sure my water heater temp was lower, I use less water (shorter showers, letting it mellow if it's yellow, more efficient plant watering), I use less energy (lowering my phantom load, reducing the brightness on my laptop, turning off lights, et al), when possible I grow my own herbs and some veggies too, I recycle everything I can, I drive responsibly, etc., etc., etc.

but does this make me eco fabulous? I don't think so.
does this make me eco friendly? sure. Or at least more-so than the average bear.

but I was reading some of the entires for the eco-fab contest, and I really couldn't help but think--what? changing out your lightbulbs makes your eco-fab? seriously? not to judge or anything, but you and I must have seriously different definitions of the word "fabulous." because to me eco-fab is more along the lines of doing all the things I'm doing plus composting and buying local and having solar panels and using wind powers and using natural light to heat your home and re-using everything and not ever using a car unless it's a hybrid electric that you modified to run on biodiesel which you make yourself and all that kind of jazz.

but I set my standards high. ;)

oh, and in both cases, for the record the thing that makes me the most friendly/fab? it's KNOWING. and learning. and doing wat I can. I mean, I figure the people are just trying to win the contest, but it struck me as odd.

that might've come out as a little mean. I didn't intend that. oh well.

anyway, moving on.

my nose is getting better, it's improving every day. I'll spare you the gory details. I'm still getting tired very easily and I am still having drainage and icky-ness, but my goal is to go to work on friday for a half day before I have my one-week-after checkup (after which I can blow my nose, which will be a HUGE relief. a painful one, but a nice option to have) anyhoo, we'll see how it all pans out.

and my biggest accomplishments today were: going to get the mail and taking a shower without needing someone to hang out nearby incase I fell. after I took a little spill yesterday (not in the shower, on the stairs) I was a little nervous, but it all worked out okay. oh, and yesterday's fall wasn't that big of a deal, but I did have to jump backwards down three stairs and I bruised my knee pretty badly and rice went EVERYWHERE. I just had too much in my hands and was talking to gobi and lost my balance. I'm sure I looked ridiculous. The worst part was having to clean up the mess after I fell--I REALLY wanted someone to be home with me then. oh well. i'm fine today, so we're good to go.

tonight matt and I had dinner (me, leftover chicken, peas and wild rice from yesterday, him leftover pizza from lunch, man, my church people are WONDERFUL) and watched Queen of the Damned. Today I also watched most of a movie called Joshua and played around on the computer and napped. and I've had a whole whole lot of this super yummy tea. It's deeeelish!

and other things because I ended up looking them up and I think they're neato...
matchstick gardens.
this little tool that looks like a key.

oh and gobi and hazel? friggin adorable. today it was like they took turns watching me--they were on a rotation. gobi waited right outside the door while I was in the shower, hazel slept with me in the morning, gobi hung out this evening, and now they're both curled up with me on the couch. too precious! I'm hoping they'll migrate to the bed, too. :)

1 comments:

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

i have that tea on my desk and drink it throughout the day. it is very YUMMY!!!

i love my "furry nurses" when i'm sick too. they are the best!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio