Wednesday, August 15, 2007

...she was like a precious flower...

~keith urban

my my my.

I think Matt is doing his darndest to turn me into a country-lover. As a friend of mine would say of his own country taste, I'm "discerning" when it comes to country. Waaaaay long ago I was a lover of all things JoeDee Messina, Shania Twain and Deanna Carter. (and of course Garth Brooks, because, well, he's from where I'm from) And I have a special place in my musical heart for the Dixie Chicks and their honesty. (man, their songs have made me laugh, cry and want to dance!)

but I wouldn't say I like country. that's never been a blanket statement I'm willing to make. And even during that waaaaay long ago I was still rockin' out to the Pearl Jam or the Beatles much more often than their more-twangy-but-not-too-twangy counterparts. I don't know my Tim McGraw from my Kenny Chesney from my Brad Paisley, but I may just have to learn.

last night after a not-as-bad-as-the-day-before workday and a more-fun-than-I-expected time at VBS, I talked to Marla and ended up having sushi at an impromptu birthday celebration for my friend Kim. see, isn't she cute?

anyhoodle, after some sushi and beer, matt and I went to my place and proceeded to (slowly) drink jack and cokes and watch country music videos on yahoo music. until. nearly. two. in. the. morning. what?!? um, I think we watched videos for like three hours. and now? Now I really like Brad Paisley (especially this song) and I realized that there are a lot of songs that I already know--some old, some new--like the one about when you think Tim McGraw and about a little dust on the bottle and the one about don't take the girl or tequila making her clothes fall off. And the videos? They just make the songs even better, and often put an unexpected twist on them.
i might become a slight convert. but only slight. I'm still an indie rock kind of girl. And I still don't like twangy country.

speaking of indie rock, did I tell you what's happening on October 19th? Well, so, I'm getting excited waaay too far ahead of time but.

1. it is the friday of the weekend before my birthday.
2. both sterling and christina will be coming into town. this makes my day already.
3. the shins are playing in raleigh. THE SHINS. The Shins who I love, who I know all their songs, whose song is my ringtone, whose music makes me happy when I am sad, whose album was the first one I'd ever preordered, who rock my world (pun so intended, it's the shins!) And I am buying tickets on Saturday to go see these bad boys l-i-v-e. Can I tell you how excited I am?!?

yippee!

additionally, I am going to try to make my weeks a leeeetle less full-o'-stuff, because really, I will have had something to do every damn day from last sunday until a week from tomorrow, and I need a break.

1 comments:

melissa said...

i'm not a big country fan either, and you can imagine the difficulties this can present as i am an arkansas native. that being said, i absolutely ADORE miranda lambert. you should check her out for sure.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio