Wednesday, May 30, 2007

she's the second best killer that I have ever seen

~the fratellis

so, see this ball? this one?


yeah, we played with some of those last night. and not to toot my own horn or anything, but I really did surprisingly well.

oh, I was in the group of three that needed the extra practice with the passing. and physically I didn't have the endurance of the other girls. I did, however, have the speed. and then some.

but I gotta say, the most fun part? we were scrimmaging, six on six, playing touch. and the coach (brushee) was in my "lane" on the opposing team, which means he was guarding me, sorta (unless I moved out of line, but whatever).

anyhoodle, we're on our ten or fifteen meter line, so the other team is superclose to their goal, but we've got possession. so the girl on my left (AB or Vicky, not sure which it was) passed me the ball, and with it in my hand I somehow managed to get past brushee and sprint all the way down the field (which is 100 meters long) and woulda scored except there was this rule about all your players being in the twenty-two. but anyway, the important part is I got by the coach and hauled ass to the goal all by my little self the first day I ever played rugby.

let me tell you, the rest of my showing wasn't so spectacular. but that? that felt good.

and, it felt pretty awesome too when the girlies kept saying "are you sure this is the first time you've played rugby?" and "you're really good at this" and "we didn't look anything close to this good the first time we played."

:D

that's the field. there's A LOT of lingo. A LOT. and only throwing the ball backwards? just plain weird.

it's a hell of a workout though. an hour and a half of running/sprinting/jogging/moving. kinda kicked my ass. like a lot. if I keep this up I might have to break my rule--y'know, the one about not running unless there's a ball involved? I'll die if I keep running like this and only do it twice a week. I mean, softball is good exercise, buuuuuut...not that good.

I told 'em I wanted to come to a few more practices to decide if rugby was for me. I'm not sure about the whole hitting part. I kind of like my teeth and I don't want any broken bones. So we'll see.

also, I figured out some things that seem to run in my kaydee family. y'see, I talked to my Itsy yesterday. and apparently playing crazy violent sports does. and being perspicacious. and being honest and it being okay. and drinking, sometimes to excess. and know what? I like it. :)

i am really really really looking forward to rockin out in t-town very very soon. it's shaping up to be quite the faboo trip, peeps.

1 comments:

Turner said...

when I went to australia, the guys in my group all faced off agaisnt the Australian guys in a game of rugby.

The Americans won, barely. I scored twice - both times intercepting a toss near our goal and taking it the length of the field.

Then, the Aussies felt they had to save face... and challenged us to American football.

Yeah - a culture that doens't use the forward pass shouldn't go up against of teenage athletes in football. It was a fricken massacre.

They did beat us in cricket tho... and, frankly, they can have it. lol.

Congrats on being a speedster and having fun and not breaking anything and still having all your teeth.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio