Monday, April 30, 2007

to be. to do. do-be-do-be-do.

yesterday I was congratulated for accomplishing something on my list of things to do in life. at first it felt silly, because I really feel like what I actually did is add something else to my kinda long (and self-inflicted) list of things to do. what I did was volunteer to be an assistant leader for the girl scout troop that meets at my church (and really you should be proud of me, I think, 'cause they asked if I'd be the leader-leader, and I said no!).

and after I said, "I'm not sure if it's really a 'congrats' type of moment," he said, "yes it is. you said it's something you've wanted to do, and now you're gonna do it." he has good perspective, I think. it probably helps that he's cute. :)

so I started thinking about the things I want to do. and how I want to make a list. and I'm gonna. I know some things that go on it: be a mother, learn how to quilt, fly in a hot air balloon, go to europe, take a vacay with my various bfs, dance across a stream (you can blame funny face for that one), visit all 50 states and make a coffee table book, be kind to others, etc. and be a girl scout leader. and be really involved in my church. and secretly I want to be a big important officer in kd some day too, but don't tell anybody, it'll be our secret, k?

anyway, I've also thought about some things that I don't want to do anymore. and I don't think I'm comfortable making a list of them, really. except for one. I don't want to ever let anybody I love think that I don't love them. I don't ever want to chance it. A long time ago I think maybe someone didn't know I loved him, and it pains me to think about that possibility.

okay, enough waxing profound.

so, saturday evening I enjoyed some sushi and drinks with Kim, Marla and Lara. VERY fun. And precisely what I needed. cute, no? seriously, sometimes what you need is a sister.

then something hard but good happened. and I am thankful. and tired. but mostly thankful.

and at church, after speaking in front of the congregation and getting nervous (what the hell? I don't ever get nervous about speaking in front of people...maybe it's 'cause I was winging it?) I got coaxed into going to the potluck and then volunteered to be the assistant leader. I am seriously so! excited! about! this! (and, cuteness, this ADORABLE little girl told me how cute my ring is--you can see it in the picture up there--how faboo to have someone who oozes cuteness tell you she likes what you're wearing. so what if she was six. i don't care. i wish I were half as cute as her!)

and then? then I became the "photographer" for the kaydee alums and a member of the nominating committee. And that, my dearies, is the extent of my official responsibilities. and though it pains me a little to let it go, since I've been so invested in it for the past three years, I also know that this is a really good thing, and I should move onto something different. and I totally have my work cut out for me.

also? kinda proud of myself for only being an elected officer in ONE organization. sure, I'm on two softball teams, in the church choir, just volunteered to be an asst. leader and am triangle panhell pres, but still. this is good for me. and more importantly, I do these things because I enjoy them.

finally, susan and I watched The Notebook, and ate this, which is yum, actually. that movie is so good but soooooo sad. I cried. I was told it was okay to do more crying this weekend though, 'cause it's a different type of cry. And it was. S and I had a little heart to heart afterwards. Good stuff, peeps. gee-double-oh-dee.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on becoming an assiant troop leader. That's always something I've wanted to do too. I did the LIT training in highschool, and I learned how much paperwork goes along with being an actual leader. I can't wait till I have the time to get back into scouting, because I really miss camping.

SJ said...

Don't you mean tenting? =)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio