Friday, March 30, 2007

let's do smack-smack-smack-smack-smack!

~betsy pearce, said with an overly-cheery and highly-sarcastic voice, while making lots of little quick excited claps

I LOVE FUNNY PEOPLE. Seriously, y'all rule. And half priced martinis and talking about boys? A great way to begin the pre-weekend. :) Plus? I got to talk to Adrienne McVey, my dear dear Itsy. How I have such a wonderful KD family I will never know, but boy-oh-boy am I thankful. And? I might just be going to Alaska in June. Alaska AND Oklahoma. And Alabama. Uh, and maybe New Mexico? (okay maybe I need to spread these trips out, but whatever)

so, I'm catching up on a couple of corners-of-my-homes. only I'm also making this about whatever it is in my house that seems like something I'd wanna share.


1. the breakfast of champions.

I meant to tell y'all about this after I took the GRE. This is what I eat for breakfast EVERY time I have a big test/interview/whatever. A cream cheese danish. I had to go to three grocery stores before I found these guys. I've been doing this since, oh, middle school? Before every ACT, every SAT, visiting TU, interviewing for Top Ten Freshman, interviewing at Burt's Bees, my old job and my present company, before my scholarship interviews, before the FE and most recently before my GRE. It's a thing. Every damn time. And seems to kinda work for me. And come to think of it, the times I didn't eat it have been the times I've not done quite as well. Interesting, no?


2. this guy has to be retired.

Sterling made me buy this mug when I was fifteen. It was in the summer when I went to my cousin Michelle's wedding in Chicago. He had one, y'see, but his mom had accidentally broken it. So I bought one for me and one for him from the Starbucks there. And I've been using it ever since. Today I realized that there was water (and some icky brown mold stuff) stuck inside the insulating-air that's a part of the cup. That means it's time to chuck it. It's a little sad though. I've been using this for, what, eleven years now, almost? It's funny to think how different I was eleven years ago, and all the places I've taken this silly mug.

3. this will always sit by my kitchen sink.

for the whole entire rest of my life, if I have anything to say about it. if I don't have a kitchen sink, it will go by my own sink. this little jar is full of rocks that anna, adam, my mom and me dug up in arkansas. there's also one from cali, oregon, oklahoma, texas, north carolina, virginia and I'm not sure where else. It used to sit under the stairs in my mom's house, and it was something she gave me when I left. It reminds me of home, of how anna and I always lost teeth at the same time (but opposite teeth--hello, mirror image twins, much?), of all of the empty beer cans we found under the stairwell when we tore it out, of the old olds--the white car with red interior where the glue oozed out of the sides of the panels 'cause it was so hot in arizona and of my mom and her fun black light things she kept on the little shelf there. for me, this little jar of rocks means that a place is really my home.

hip-hip-hooray for friday!

2 comments:

Nick said...

Man, I thought I was the only nerd who collected rocks from friends, memorable times, etc.

Anonymous said...

For a new coffee mug, check out the OXO stainless steel ones that seal so well you can turn them upside down (or throw them in your purse and run out the door and not have coffee all over everything when you get to work). It's about $15 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and TOTALLY worth it.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio