Friday, January 19, 2007

mix cd's

So, I have a co-worker, Dmitry. He’s almost forty, a Russian and he’s a riot! And I will always be thankful to him for taking pictures of my birthday (when my hair may have been the cutest I've ever done!). Dmitry talks to me about safe sex and how to get guys (and tried to fix me up with some of his friends...bad news) and tells what to say to guys I like--and I ignore like 98% of it, but find it highly amusing. He also refers to Kevin as License Plate or License Plate Boy because he has a personalized license tag. Really, I think it’s all pretty funny. But anyway…

Today on our way to lunch he said something even MORE amusing. We’re in my car, Paige, Dmitry and me (which by the way, Mr. I-Have-a-2007-Toyota-Corolla should have driven, not me, but whatever), and Dmitry is in the back. I’m trying to decide which cd from my changer we should hear—Indigo Girls, Cake, Dressy Bessy, The Shins, Paste #23 or M Ward—and Dmitry, not even knowing what I’m doing, blurts out, “Has License Plate made you a mix cd yet?”

What?!?

Okay, so (most) every month Christina and I totally switch cds, and I have one from my friend Kelly, but the last time I got a mix cd from a guy with whom I was romantically involved was the waaaaaay-too-heavy one from Creepy Aaron. Otherwise, it’s friends. I mean, not that I’d be opposed to a mix cd, mind you, because they're actually pretty fun, but Dmitry asked it like you would the following:

“is he cute?”
“did y’all kiss?”
“how was your date?”

"where'd you go for dinner?"

All matter-of-fact-ly, like it was the most normal question in the world. Ever.

Perhaps I missed the memo. Are mix cds trendy? Hipster? An LA thing? Like drinking champagne out of a straw? or, is Dmitry just re-living his mix-tapes-o'-the-80s days?

6 comments:

brooke knight said...

paul proposed to me with a mix cd.



okay that sounds weird. it like, said it on the label that was on the cd, and the ring was around the circle part that holds the cd. it was pretty cool.

Turner said...

a mixed CD is hella-important. Watch the movie "High Fidelity" and you'll understand. Also, nothing gives you an idea about what's going on in his head like 13 various tracks and artist crooning away about love... provided the dude ALSO writes a letter of sorts explaining the reasons why he chose certain songs.

Dmitry has a point tho - HAS Mr Lisence Plate made you one yet?

care said...

brooke, that sounds super cute!

and mark, that's a negative, ghostrider. maybe some day, but not now...

Renee B. said...

mike gave me a mixed cd at the retreat before our first date.

i don't know what that means. :-) but i really liked it and it's now one of my favorite things.

Unknown said...

You need to read Love is a Mixtape. It's all about the writers late wife, and their relationship. It's hearbreakingly beautiful. Though High Fidelity is one of my favorite books, so I might be partial.

C. said...

OK 1. This post made me feel quite ashamed, rightfully so, for my mix CD negligence. I'm not going to put a timeframe on it, but your playlist is complete and languishing on my iTunes as I keep forgetting to buy blank CDs!

Also, mix CDs can indeed be quite romantic. My boyfriend in college made me a mix CD historical timeline of sorts, where every song represented a stage of our relationship. Too bad that didn't end up well.

-Christina

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio