Wednesday, December 06, 2006

so, saturday and sunday and monday, oh my!


this picture should set the tone. eek!

saturday morning we had brunch with lauren barrett, who is an incredible musician and a friend of ariel v. merritt. I met her at ariel's wedding, and we talk occasionally. she lives just a little ways from where Sterling lives, so we got together. At this point I'd slept for five additional hours. we're up to a total of twelve now.

but we look cute.

here's lauren and me


and sterling and blake.
then we went to Tower Records, which was going out of business, so everything was marked down and half off or both! I got the Follow That Bird, Vanilla Sky and Labyrinth sountracks (they were $1.50 a piece!) and cds by Semisonic, Fiery Furnaces, Jim Noir, Tegan and Sara, Remy Zero, Calexico and I can't even remember who else. It was so easy to go out of control, but I'm pleased with my choices. :)

we swung by Sterling's office, where I met GJ (who is Sterling's boss).

and then? a few WONDERFUL things! spring rolls, dr pepper, brown cons for carrie, a thrift store coat and big sunglasses (apparently you could tell I was from out of town because my sunglasses were so small--kind of like how americans are obvious in europe due to their bright colors and obnoxious speaking voices). here's some bench cuteness...



and finally...drumroll please...or maybe it should be strumming please...

guitar shopping!!!

now, to answer some questions...
~no, I do not know how to play the guitar. "there's only two [chords] in me, and I just [played] the third" to paraphrase TMBG :)
~yes, I want to learn how. I've tried three times, but all of the guitars have been too big for me. and if it hurts my arm to play it then it's a bit tough to want to keep going.
~why now? why not?

I. Am. Pumped.
but, of course I find the one I want (it was actually the first one I picked up) and there's a problem. Fender has made this very pretty parlor guitar. It is still a "full size" acousic, but is petite. And a bit unusually shaped, such that a normal case is too big for it w/o padding. gee-double-r.

Rob, the guy at the guitar store, is still working on what to do. I'd really prefer for this puppy to be as lightweight as possible so getting a smaller case is ideal. Currently I own a tuner and some picks. but...

all in good time, my little pretty, all in good time.

Sterling got a guitar too, see? It's tres cool 'cause up close you can see the wood grain underneath that blue, and it's a matte finish that's desidned to wear off. really really cool.


next came pizza dinner and then drinking. When I asked if they did anything for birthday girls they gave elizabeth TWO glasses of sangria--one for her and one for me! yippee!

and these are all okies/people who are boomer sooners. wow.


and then off to the fox and hound. you'll see two slide shows at the end...that's cause we went around the table taking pictures.

oh oh oh, AND.
I forgot to tell you. I was proposed to TWICE this weekend. Man, I almost forgot.

Once by this guy, Cole, at Elizabeth's party (I was gonna put a pic of him, but I decided not to 'cause he's making the shocker) and once by the guy at the bar when I went to get a shot for Elizabeth--he asked me a few questions (where was I from, what did I do) and as soon as I said I was a Chemical Engineer he said, "Pretty AND smart? Wanna get married? No, really, would you marry me?"

yikes.

anyhoo. back to the fun of the slideshows. see? fun!

elizabeth and I did a whole little dance--it was awesome. we got along so well--and she decided I could be her older sister she'd never had. :) (ps, why is my tongue orange??? all the airborne?)


| View Show | Create Your Own

and then here's where we all went around making happy and sad faces, alternating. so so amusing.

| View Show | Create Your Own


and I thought this was cute.

and this funny.
and here's a loopie.
and this is artistic (taken by sterling--not me, for the record)
and to close the night, a pic of me and my best friend sterling. awww....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about guitar playing. I learned how to play free falling on Asia's electric, but my guitar was too big for my tiny, tiny hands and t-rex short arms. I'm glad you found something to play! When I get it in my head to learn again, I'll probably just borrow one of Sterling's.

Also, Sterling took the artsy picture.

care said...

poifect! I'll update, giving cred where cred is due!

let me know when you learn...perhaps we can jam together WITHOUT all of our uber talented fellow friends? :D y'know, since we'll just slow 'em down...

Renee B. said...

there are also really fun "backpack" guitars that are small. i've never played one but a friend of mine had one in college and it was cool. i'm not sure who makes them. i need a new guitar. i really want a martin...in case anyone's asking. :-)

i'm so glad you had fun! i'm so excited to see you AND sterling very soon!

care said...

you know, I looked at backpackers, but they tend to be more expensive. and, I want a guitar that *looks* like a guitar, if that makes sense. they're SO cool though! Maybe some day I'll have to invest!

seriously can't WAIT!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio