Friday, October 27, 2006

oh, that's not your foot, that's broccoli!

my very kind friend Collin took me to dinner at the Olive Garden last night. It might not be authentic, and it might not be good for you, but it's still yummy. Plus, it was to celebrate our birthdays--his is on Sunday.

and I had a little adventure on my way into the restaurant.

I'm talking to my mom on the phone, trying to tell her that I need to get off the phone and go inside. I walk towards the door, realize there's a crowd of people there and the "atmosphere-providing" music is blaring, and turn around to walk away from the noise, as I'm still on the phone. I finish talking, say goodbye and turn around again to go inside.

This is when I notice the eye staring at me. Roughly twelve pairs of them. In a bit of a circle. All looking at me.

Mentally taking note of what I'm wearing and how hot I don't look (death cab for cutie tshirt, gray puffy vest, jeans, converse, long-day-at-work hair), I continue towards the door, and I swear to god they all watched me the whole way like one of those paintings where the subjects eyes follow you. I get to the door, open it, turn around and look at them, and...

so what did I do?

I waved. And said, "Hi there." because, well, I wasn't just going to let them stare and not say something.

and one of the guys says "we're not gay." And I laugh.

"um, okay..." I say. "That's great?"

"No, really. I mean, some of us are gay, but most of us aren't." (laughter from his friends)

"That's good?...well, enjoy your dinn-"

"-no, seriously." he said.

"Okay, then, which ones of you are gay?" A few of them point at two guys who look angry/annoyed/shocked, presumably because they weren't gay. "um, okay, right, then..." I say. "Gay in the happy sense, got it. Enjoy your dinner!"they laugh. I go inside.

it was amusing. maybe you had to be there.

When I told Collin this story, before I could even tell about the "we're not all gay" part of the story, his first question was, "were they gay?" Which is a reasonable question that just made me laugh even harder.

And, y'know what? I never thought they might be gay. I just thought they were probably a group of frat guys eating dinner for initiation or something. shows what being in a sorority will do to you--make you jump to a different type of conclusion.

at least they were all cute. youngins, but cute.
Oh, and the broccoli? Yeah, totally though I'd stepped on Collin's foot in the process of moving mine--but nope, turned out to just be a big piece of broccoli that was lying on the floor under the table. ew.
ps-this is from toothpaste for dinner. found at toothpastefordinner.com --it's hilarious!

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio