Wednesday, August 16, 2006

“yes, virginia, pluto is a planet.”

That’s what Richard Binzel of MIT has to say.

So, before, it was like this.

And I believe the Earth must be the stupidest planet, as it is the most dense. ~bah-dum-ching!~


But now they’re recounting, and they’re coming up with more planets than I have fingers.

Twelve planets.
TWELVE planets.

That’s how many planets we may have. TWELVE. They’re debating, don’t you know?

And, did you know there used to be another planet, Ceres? It was demoted, but now they might include it again. And this UB313 may be called Xena, and there’s another called Charon. Interesting that two of the planets up for debate have girl names. And since right now all we have is Venus representing women... But whatev.

It made me think of the mnemonic I learned so long ago—perhaps from Roxi Vincent. I learned “Mother Very Excitedly Made Jelly Sandwiches Under No Protest.”

I couldn’t find that one online, but I did find some others, including a dirty one!

oMooing very eagerly, Mary jogged south under nine planets.
My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.
Mary Vincent Eats Many Jelly Sandwiches Under Ned's Porch.
Miss Nancy's Elephant Mastered Oilgebra, Not Integral Calculus.
My Very Erotic Mother Just Sucked Uncle Ned's Penis.
M
exican Vultures Enjoy Making Jam Sandwiches Using New Plums.
My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine
Planets.

Are there any I’m missing? And how does being ably to show someone nine planets make someone “very educated?” I mean, hullo, they taught me that in grade school. Now, the elephant one, I like it!

And now it’s going to maybe be…

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Charon, UB313 (Xena?)

And they have a new definition of a planet: any round object larger than 800 kilometers (nearly 500 miles) in diameter that orbits the sun and has a mass roughly one-12,000th that of Earth. Moons and asteroids will make the grade if they meet those basic tests.

So, um, by their definition the Earth isn’t a planet, as its mass is not roughly one-12,000th of, um, its mass. Uh-huh. Brilliant, Spacenerds, friggin brilliant.

~shakes head and sighs...~

Anyhoo, I wonder what they will come up with for the new mnemonic.

Matt’s Vegan Egghead Mindset Causes Jill Stress, Ulcers Necessitating Painful, Costly X-rays? Many Very Excellent Minions Can Justify Singing Uppity Notes Playing Colorful Xylophones?

Riiight.

Aw, science. I heart it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

MVEMSJUNP. Pronounced M-vem-sjunp. It's Screech's tool for remembering the order of the planets. He taught it to Zack and he won the Academic Bowl type match against the nerdy school because of it. M-vem-sjunp. not that catchy.

Jax said...

I love this post!! I laughed at the "shakes head and sighs" I can totally see it..and since you are into science and are also cool, I have decided you are to be the one to name any possible new planets b/c I dont agree with their names.. :)

care said...

I'm glad you laughed, Jackie. :) I will come up with names for the new planets and post them soon. I like being science-ee AND cool. :)

Turner said...

It's all about the PLUTONS baby... I think it is beyond cool that we may be alive and witness to the addition of three (at first!) new bodies into our solar system. Of course, if the space community agrees to create the "Pluton" as a legitimate space object, there is already a list of objects in our galaxy that will qualify.

Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

Roxi Vincent was amazing.
And I still love science because of her.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio