Wednesday, August 16, 2006

my mom spent sunday wondering why she didn't name me alice.

so I told her that maybe, some day, when I have kids, I'll name one of them alice, or make it her middle name. (side note:she may have been wondering this WHILE I was buying my alice in wonderland tshirt. weird.) I told her I'd have to have two girls though. I already have another name in mind. she started talking to me about NOT having only one kid--that at least two are necessary. i totally agree.
but then I started wondering about who would have kids when. I, unlike my good friend Audrey, have no pregnant friends, no friend with babies--at least not really close ones. There's some high school friends--Whitney, Amber and Randi, to name a few, and I know my Big has a little boy, but I don't keep in touch with any of them, and haven't for a while. other than that there's some kaydees with little ones, but that's it!
so, I wonder, when will the baby parade hit for me? my durham friends (I group y'all as that, if you didn't know) are all smug marrieds without the kids (though they aren't smug, I just love that term). Soon (if they aren't already) they'll be DINKS--double income no kids, as my prof Dr. Manning would say. I imagine that I will be the last of them to have kids, but still probably be the first of my family.
and it's SO WEIRD thinking--I'm 25. Almost 26. And I don't want to have kids for years and years. Which seems to fit...
Sterling was telling me about our being the delayed generation. Or the lost generation. Or Gen X. Or maybe Gen Y.
I'm not sure if I'm a young Gen X or an old Gen Y. Dates differ, and apparently I can be considered an XY, as I was born in 1980. There's a seven-to-ten year period of flux, and there's no clear delineation because, well, that's just how it should be if you're an XY. Check it out though--read their list of what has happened in the life of an XYer/MTV Gen-er. It's weird to realize it and see it all in one place.
so, what's with this group of people, Gen X, Gen Y or Gen XY, that are delaying everying? Clearly I'm doing it. And a lot of others are too. Fifty years ago most of the females reading this blog would have had at least one child by now. What has changed so much? Is it all because of women being more liberal? I, as a liberal woman, have to wonder.
And have you seen that preview for the movie where the world is dying and no one is having babies anymore and the oldest person is eighteen? I wonder if this is how it starts. Though, clearly, this part cannot be blamed on liberal women. The conservative men play a part, too. :)

3 comments:

Turner said...

It's too soon for kids... I'm thinking that I'll get "the bug" (funny how I refer to having children like someone refers to the common cold) when I hit 30.

Anonymous said...

You know, I love Alice in Wonderland and have debated named one of my future kids Alice, but I just can't. I think it's because it also reminds me of that TV show with the waitress. They ruined it. Boo. Maybe it'd work as a middle name.

Anonymous said...

You interest me, I am glad to wish you happiness!

Peace and Love.

Dominic Ebacher
ebacherdom.blogspot.com

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio