Thursday, August 03, 2006

this is just buggy.

good news first--my plants are fruiting! I've already harvest zucchini, a few cherry tomatoes and my spinach is ready, too. plus, my cukes are starting to grow and my pumpkins are flowering! no yellow squash yet though. and, my watermelons are growing! They're little baby watermelons now (egg size or so), but they're getting there! I sure hope watermelon is good in september...i bet it is good any time if you put vodka in it. ;)

initially, I had those damn tomato/tobacco hornworms all over my cherry and bush goliath tomatoes. The one in this picture was larger around than my thumb!!! I'd noticed the foliage on the end was disappearing, but figured that was 'cause the plant kept falling over or something--it grew to one side despite my best efforts to encourage it otherwise.

so, though it meant harming another, Otto and I took care of it, pulling off the worms and cutting the poor little buggers in half! (gasp!) Since then I've only seen one, and I just threw it far away.

But now? Now??? It stinks!

Because we have stink bugs/ leaf-footed bugs all over the cherry tomato plant! :( I'm trying to find a way to get rid of them without using Sevin. There's a safe something or other that you can use up to the day of harvest, and I'm going to see if Lowe's has that. We shall see. Anyone know what to do?

Also, I need an opinion. My best friend Jessica has convinced me that these are the bomb diggity, and now I want one. Plus, after reading this, (it's long but worth it!) I'm absolutely motivated to no longer use the plastic grocery bags if at all possible. Amongst other things. So, I'm going to use this for groceries, too.

but which color? Blue Iris or Lime? I'm getting the medium with long handles, with my initials, hopefully in lowercase.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those LL Bean bags. Have one my self!

Jax said...

I vote lime. This is why: lime rarely matches with anything therefore it looks more funky and purposeful that you got the bag for fun and arent just coordinating. Yes. I like lime. :) good idea btw! Seriously!

Anonymous said...

You know there are Vera Bradley bags like that too - I've had mine for like 3 years now! And it's engraved with the initials. Very fancy.

:)

care said...

good call, Jackie. good call. that makes two for lime--mary alise said so too!

and del, I can't find a VB one that doesn't have a pattern on it. love 'em, but I get tired of patterns, eventually.

also, no blue 'cause I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a duke-ee. ;)

Audrey T said...

What about the teal and lime or the black and teal "colorburst bags"?

care said...

actually, some shopping carts here, especially the ones around NC State, have LOCKS on their wheels. They operate on the same principle as invisible dog fences--except the wheels lock instead of the shock thing.

craaazy.

att-I like the colorburst too. Jess said she has one, and they aren't nearly as cool as they seem. :(

brooke knight said...

your garden amazes me. SO jealous!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio