Tuesday, July 11, 2006

tongue in cheek or foot in mouth?

Gaah!

Birthday fun at Mellow Mushroom!  I have no idea how the seven of us had so much beer and so little pizza.

I must vow to never discuss uber-feminists ever again.  Ever.  It turned into a discussion of some pretty stereotypical and likely not common traits of those who are ultra feminist.  Which, PS, I kind of admire.

I also learned the phrase "bump-and-hump." Which, unfortunately, refers to a pick-up method.

And I learned that sometimes girls really do respond to cheesy lines, and guys are lucky that the do.  Especially if the guy's name is Michael.  Who, by the way, ENTIRELY brought me back to high school days, playing spades with Eddie, Kendall and Hulett, or sometimes Jonathan or Christina whoever else was up for it.  And arguing over touchy subjects (religion, feminists, race, whether or not Oklahoma is in the Midwest, what a "Southern" boy real is, politics, etc), and only half the time wanting to change the other person's mind, and the rest hoping to glean some knowledge from them.  And a little bit arguing just to see who would give up first. 

It made me miss you guys.

On the enjoyment scale, high school < college < now, but sometimes I wax nostalgic.

And in this particular case, I'm pretty sure the beer helped.  Well, that and my now much MUCH more liberal mind. It's weird to be on the other side of the fence and really mean it.

6 comments:

sadkingjonathan said...

Welcome.

--The Othersideofthefencecommittee

Anonymous said...

Ok first things first - your vocabulary lesson from last night courtesy of merriamwebster.com

Main Entry: en·er·vate
Pronunciation: 'e-n&r-"vAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -vat·ed; -vat·ing
Etymology: Latin enervatus, past participle of enervare, from e- + nervus sinew -- more at NERVE
1 : to reduce the mental or moral vigor of
2 : to lessen the vitality or strength of
synonyms UNNERVE, ENERVATE, UNMAN, EMASCULATE mean to deprive of strength or vigor and the capacity for effective action. UNNERVE implies marked often temporary loss of courage, self-control, or power to act [unnerved by the near collision]. ENERVATE suggests a gradual physical or moral weakening (as through luxury or indolence) until one is too feeble to make an effort [a nation's youth enervated by affluence and leisure]. UNMAN implies a loss of manly vigor, fortitude, or spirit [a soldier unmanned by the terrors of battle]. EMASCULATE stresses a depriving of characteristic force by removing something essential [an amendment that emasculates existing safeguards].

Don't tell me I never taught you anything.

In my defense for cheesy lines, it was 4 o'clock in the morning and I had been drinking for quite some time. Besides who could resist my charm and good looks? :-)

You did hit the nail on the head with one thing though; you only win the arguments because I get bored first. However, I will take it upon myself to try and bring you back to the dark side and get you to be a little less liberal. I have my work cut out for me.

Last but not least for you non-Southerners there are only 4 true southern states: SC, GA, AL, MS. The rest have been "Yankeeized"

Can't wait for dinner tomorrow, and what will surely be engaging (and possibly nerdy) conversation.

care said...

interesting that you call being conservative "the dark side." every conservative I know would explain it the other way around! :)

and thanks, welcomer.

Anonymous said...

Snyder, It was not 4 o'clock in the morning, it was more like 2:30. (not like that makes a huge difference)

Yes, to everyone else who may be reading this and thinking who would fall for such a cheesy line...that would be me...still together 2 years later and counting.

Carrie, do you agree with me, but I think he has too much time on his hands.

C-ya tonight!!

care said...

far too much time.

and the GOOD news is that the cheesy pick-up line wasn't the first thing he said to you. besides, we've all fallen for some type of a line at one time or another.

LO said...

first off, I wasn't there for the conversation (but it's sounds like it was fascinating!), but I would like to comment that SC, GA, AL, MS aren't the ONLY southern states. (I grew up in SC next to GA, and have only ever lived in GA or SC until I moved to NC four years ago). I think TN still has a pretty good stronghold as do many parts of NC and VA (minus the Triangle, Asheville, Richmond, DC areas).

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio