Thursday, May 25, 2006

tulsey town, part two

riverside drive
Otto hadn’t actually walked around on it, so I took him on the pedestrian bridge and everything. See, aren’t we cute?

And I really wanted a picture of this. I’m sure that seems silly, but it makes me think of home, and it makes me happy so I’ll do what I want, dangit! I really wanted to get a picture of it as the sun was setting, but that didn’t happen this time. Perhaps on my next visit.

poor anna
Anna is now living in the “little house,” aka a barn type structure in my mom’s backyard. I think it’s a really good thing for her, and a good thing for my family too. On Friday when we had chicken and veggie enchiladas with Mexican rice it was so so so sad. Anna had gone to the doctor earlier in the week and they tested her for strep—and the quick test came back negative. But the long test came back positive, and Anna couldn’t come into the house since DeeDee, Chauncey and Bob hadn’t yet been exposed (plus we didn’t want to be re-exposed). This was the first time since I moved away that Anna really wanted to be there with us as a family, and she couldn’t come. Luckily she’d been on antibiotics for 24 hours by the time Mayfest rolled around, so I got to see her then. Sometimes I just cannot believe we’re twins.

recipe boxes

so friggin weird. so, when I moved into our apartment last May I went shopping at Everything But Grannie's Panties, per Audrey's recommendation. It's a knick-knack/antique store that sells things suuuuuper cheap. And while buying two pieces of furniture I saw these two little tins--one was a recipe box, and the othe was just a round tin with a lid. They were different, but both cute and flowered, so I bought them. I now keep my measuring spoons in the round one, and recipe cards in the tin one. I had always wanted a tin recipe box--my mom had one, and I loved it. And when I came to Tulsa on Tuesday I checked hers out, and I made Otto bring mine to show her--because I have the EXACT SAME tin, only smaller. She bought hers thirty some odd years ago in who knows where, and I found mine in Durham, NC. Of course I was inclined to buy one because of her, but all I recalled is that hers was flowered--and I'm sure there are dozens of different patterns that were made. And of all of them, I picked the one that she already had!!!

food
~zio's with the grandparents


~mazzio's takeout at home when I arrived tuesday night
~big al's pita sandwich and smoothies with laura millspaugh on friday--so yum!
~baxter's on saturday, as previously noted
~shades of brown--banana lattes are AWESOME (and another person helped me here--I asked where the napkins were, and instead of telling me a fellow customer went and got them for me!
~ted's cafe escondito--if you're in BA or Stillwater go eat here--it's deee-lish!
~sonic-the breakfast of champions
mmm-mmm-mmmmm-mmmmmm-mmm

crafts
the bead merchant is a super-fun place. s-u-p-e-r. and it's waaaay too easy to spend waaaay too much money there. but opalite? probably some of the coolest beads I've ever seen. I also bought some pretty coral and jade, and some other stuff too. I'm excited about making necklaces! I got some fun stuff at hobby lobby too. I miss it. I hate it that there are eleventy-billion colors of the sugar and cream all cotton yarn there, and we get like six colors (if any!) at michaels. The beads were also 50% off, so I got some to compliment my bead merchant acquisitions. Yahoo!

I’ve tried to make two of the things Renee, Jess and I saw while shopping. One of them worked very well—see? Galvanized bucket/container +glossy mod podge=fun! A word to the wise, fabric stretches with glue, and also, I put glue directly on the bare metal and on the fabric. The other thing I tried—the rolled up magazine picture frame thingy—is soooo worth the money at the store, because it’s a pain. I tried using elmer’s glue first (since it’s thicker than mod podge) but that didn’t work. So last night I tried hot glue. It 1. dries too fast and 2. is hot and 3. burnt my left thumb. So I think I’m scrapping that idea. Perhaps I’ll come up with another way…


old school
TU is crazy stuff! there's construction EVERYWHERE! and they're moving the bell! and what's this "increase the percentage of alumni who donate $$$ so we can move up a tier" email I got? It was nice to see Karen, my OCD, and to get some new TU gear with *ahem* a discount. And Karen gave me a little present too. She's so fun! It had been SO! LONG! since I saw her last.

I went to Edison too for Harvey's concert, and they've painted over the bricks in the auditorium (I didn't notice that last time, I was too busy gawking at the carpet) and they've changed all the parking/roadways AND they got rid of the prefab! But this was neat--even though Otto thought we should be able to step on it--some schools step on the seal for luck, and others treat them reverently.


and here Adam, Harvey and I are after Harvo's school concert.

bluebell
oh, how I miss you. it's a pity they didn't have tin roof, but their mint chocolate chip totally made up for the lack of tin roof. I was so excited in Albertson's that I took a picture! Otto and Adam made fun of me, per usual. AND, my favorite part? If you open up the pic you can see that TWO people have chosen bluebell icecream over other varieties--because they put down their first selections to get bluebell instead! mmmmm bluuuuueeeebeeelllllllllll....

2 comments:

brooke knight said...

that
recipe
box
is
SO
cute.



SO CUTE.

ps- the bumperstickers came from sundancesolar.com. i have been incognito on my car (NO IDENTIFYING STICKERS WHATSOEVER) for a long time, it's time for a change!

SJ said...

I miss Tulsa.

And Mazzio's.

And Zio's.

And Riverside.

...I need to go back and spend some time.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio