Wednesday, May 24, 2006

tulsey town, part one.

so, I'm just going to tell these stories in little sections. because that's what I feel like doing.

my name is Alva, you can pray for me.
So, I’m at Albertsons in Tulsa, buying the makings of the chicken enchiladas, veggie enchiladas and Mexican rice that I’m cooking for dinner for my family, and my cashier is a black lady named Alva with far, FAR too much blush on. I’ve just asked a dumb question, and I’m amused that I’ve forgotten that in Oklahoma you don’t have to have those little store-cards to get the sales. I mention to Alva that I’m from out of town—from Raleigh—though I grew up in Tulsa. She explains that she wants to move out of town, to Kansas City, Missouri. There’s still $50 worth of groceries to ring, so I ask her why. She explains there’s a church there that she really wants to go to. I say, “Oh, so you’ve visited there?” She says, “no, but I can really feel the power of God when they pray for me over the phone.” Riiiiiiight. I told her I hoped she got to move. When I was leaving she told me her name was Alva, and I could pray for her, pray for her to get to move to Kansas City, Missouri. Hmm.

karaoke.
Is a dangerous, dangerous thing.
Dangerous like a dinosaur. Or a ditch in Latin class. Dangerous. Especially if said karaoke is 1) on ladies night where beers are one dollar and 2) is accompanied by mini-pitchers. And that’s how I spent my Thursday evening. Some place called Another Round--it's on Brookside, not even a mile from my mother's new house. And now Otto and I own two mini-pitchers, which compliment our large pitcher quite nicely.


cft time
Jess and Renee are the coolest!

We had so much fun! Lunch with Granny at First Watch, lemonade, guac, a cute apron, sunglasses (that were sunglassy, Renee!), the gap, utica square, panty-shopping, dinner at Ted's Cafe Escondito, getting a new planner, seeing Jeremy's home...so fun! We were all SO tired when we got finished though.

mayfest
Incredibly wonderfully extremely good. FIRELANE, Harvo's band, was kick-ass. They were double-kick-ass because they are all fourteen. Harvey is wearing the superman shirt and that's Brandon with the polka-dot guitar.

and here's some other mayfest fun...

and I got to see Sydney C, randomly, and Dustin came with Jess, Cody, Renee, Otto and I.

We all went out to dinner at Baxter's too--tres fun! And tres yummy. Brooke was so right about that honey pepper bacon, and their dessert is magnificent! As is the bruschetta. And for the first time in my life I asked if I could please have a side of bacon--I'm serious! And I'm SO glad Syd saw me. I also got to see Sterling's mom, brother and his brother's fiancee, too! DeeDee and Chauncey were a lot of fun as well. And Firelane was AWESOME. They even had tshirts (though it was a bit disconcerting when I realized that Harvey's face will be on my boob whenever I wear the shirt...) And Otto got a mayfest koozie with his $3 can of bud light, so it was pretty much worth it, all in all.


and here R, J and I are being "groupies." Well, not really because 1. we're like ten years or so older than those boys and 2. um, harvey is my brother. But still. We were jumping up and down pretending that we were so excited to see them, and then we started laughing, and well, here it is. Cute pic, no?

What wasn't worth it, you might ask....

well, the tetanus shot, for one. (okay, it's important to get them after getting cut on metal, I know, I know, but I'm getting ahead of myself.) we're on our way to Renee's car so we can go eat at Baxter's. I've been taking pictures of downtown Tulsa, like the first one.

And then after crossing the street, I took that last one--you'll notice it's not as good. So, we're right by the PAC, and we've just crossed the street, and I've turned around to take that last picture picture. I take one step back to get a better angle, and when I turn around I catch my left pinkie toe on one of these.

Usually, you would notice something like this when it was right in front of you. But if you're a foot from it it's kind of out of your line of sight. I came so close to not hitting it--I was half an inch from clearing it--but I caught it . I thought I'd stubbed my toe. I was wrong.

A nice couple handed me a napkin because I was bleeding a lot. I sat down to take care of it, and Otto went to see if first aid could come to me. A Mayfest worker walked by, suggested we find a police officer to contact the Mayfest EMSA and suggested I scoot closer to the beer booth since they might give me a beer out of pity! Otto had beaten us to the punch, and the nice police officer he found came over and called the Mayfest EMSA, and asked me if I wanted him to see if he could get some firefighters over. "Only if they're cute," I said. "Everyone looks good in their turnouts," he replied. We all laughed. Renee wanted them to bring the jaws of life, and Otto asked for life-flight.

When EMSA arrived they all but laughed. They had to dig for a bandaid. And the guy explained that they didn't have any neosporin because they're used to dealing with bigger injuries than I had. Yeah, funny. It kind of stung, but it didn't hurt too bad--I just figured an open, bleeding wound wasn't the thing to have. So then I had some Anchor Steam at Baxter's and made nerdy jokes with Syd and Otto and all was well. However, my toe hurt a lot on the way home from Tulsa on Sunday, but it's getting better. And since I had my last tetanus shot likely 9 or 10 years ago, I need another. And my arm is sore. Still.

Oh, and Renee took pictures.



and on that note I end part one of the tulsey town story.

2 comments:

brooke knight said...

dammit what a good blog!

you make tulsa seem like, interesting!
hahaha!

Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

"Dangerous like a ditch in Latin class" made me laugh.
Cave fossarum...

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio