Wednesday, November 16, 2005

decisions with deadlines

so, NCState begins late registration next Tuesday. translate:I owe money immediately if i register late, instead of being billed. it doesn't matter too too much, but since I get paid at the end of the month it's kind of important.

yesterday I went to the doctor and we talked about my migraines. i know that stress is the trigger. maybe lack of sleep, too, but definitely stress.

so what sources of stress do I have?
work-not really (and it's MUCH better than before, anyhow)
love life-totally un-stressful
social stuff-again, no stress, for the most part
friendships-a few stressful ones currently, but for the most part supportive and kind
money-a bit of a stress, but manageable and planned out
umm...ummm....any others?
oh, yeah, finding four to eight to even twelve hours a week to do thermo.

if I take a class next semester it will be biochemical engineering. it will bring school stress along with i'm out $612 plus books stress. i'm really thinking about going to school full time in the fall--and possibly/likely not in NC--so i'm not even sure I should take a class this spring. but, then again, it looks like BCE will be a little less homework-intense than thermo, since there won't be one due every week or so, it's more like two or three per semester.

should i take the semester off, study for the GRE, relax, earn extra mulah by writing math and science questions for standardized test, take the GRE and ace it, apply for scholarships and schools, brush up on calculus and have time to travel, paint and read or should I try to muddle through while still making time to do the above AND work 40 hours a week AND take a class? I'm sure it seems like a no-brainer, but I also have to consider that 1)I may end up going to NC state, so that's one more class done, 2)potential schools other than NC State may not let me transfer credits, 3)I'm not even certain that I want to do chemical engineering (maybe metallury, environmental engineering, materials science?) and 4)If I don't take a class next semester work will and won't like it--they won't like it because I didn't go, but they will like it because I'll be more regular in my hours.

what to do, what to do?

I so wish I had gone straight to grad school. I'm very glad about how things have turned out, all in all, but it frustrates me that going to grad school is now such a challenge, and it would have been a piece of cake if I'd done it right after undergrad. But it is what it is.

and I also have to decide on PhD vs Masters. Do I finish when I'm 27/28 or when I'm 30ish? sigh.

1 comments:

LO said...

We need to have lunch...call me! -O

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio