Tuesday, May 24, 2005

my superlative

most improved?

so, sitting alone tonight, eating not-as-good-as-I-remembered Mexican food, I thought. A lot.

And I've decided that this year my superlative is most improved. I mean, I think it is.

Where was I a year ago? In Washington D.C. with my then-husband celebrating a year of being married. Getting gifts that were a day late and a dollar short that he only made 1/8 good on, and complained the whole damn time. I was working for a crummy boss, driving a honda that was on its last leg, the new RDU-AA president, and had a new cute haircut. I was spending all of my time either watching TV or working, it seemed. There were all sorts of things I wanted to do that I wasn't, and all sorts of things that I didn't want to do that I was.

Over the course of this past year I've made a lot of changes, all of which seem to be for the better.

I now have Mattie. And that's a huge plus, not just because it's a new car, but because it's a real, grown-up, yes you really ARE making money kind of thing for me. Quite honestly I thought I would never get a new car. Ev-er.

And my nose is getting better after the surgery. And I now live in a very nice, cozy AND spacious apartment. I'm getting to paint furniture (I'm thinking restoring furniture would be a damn fun business to go in to--mind you I'm not restoring now, just making cooler, but still). I have a very wonderful boyfriend, who is a real man (rather than being a boy) who knows how to treat a lady, and how to be kind. I have some really great friends in Durham--they very supportive, outgoing, honest and fun! (two of them got engaged yesterday! :) ) And Renee and Jessica say I'm back to my old self, which is good, 'cause I like this me better. I have a better boss, even though I'm not loving my job, and I'm no longer letting people walk all over me at work.

I have cuter underwear than I did a year ago. And better shoes. And longer hair. And I read more, and I didn't realize how much I missed that. And even though I'm taking the summer off, I'm going to grad school. Which is a really good thing because I think I should go.

I am much more conscious of my being self-sufficient, and not nearly so stubborn in trying to prove myself.

And I'm so much happier. Today happens to be an unhappy-Carrie day, but all in all I'm better off, I think. I mean a lot more to me now, if that makes sense. And I know more what I want, and how I want to spend my time and effort, and I know who is worth loving. Everyone who is reading this is on that list--of people worth loving.

So today is a bit melancholy, and a bit new to me. I've never before felt like I had so many options. Just a few days ago I seriously considered doing the work to apply to law school. Yes, really. And I thought about how in 13 months maybe I'll move out of North Carolina. How that's a real option for me. And I can move anywhere I want. And if that happens to be in or near Raleigh, NC, so be it. But maybe I will want something else.

As it turns out, being able to do what I want is what I need.

Not always, and not with disregard to others, but really, that's all I need. Is to be me.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Thanks for always reading. And thanks for being real people who really care, and who I really love.

goodnight, friends. I have to be at breakfast at seven am (sigh).

PS-On an odd note. I got an email today titled "wrapped in cotton" -- guess who it was from. Audrey thinks it was pretty slimy of him to remind me of that. hopefully I'll never be reminded by him again.

PPS-enough rambling, I know, I know.

2 comments:

Renee B. said...

have you seen gwen stefani's video for "what you waiting for?"? you would like it!

SJ said...

Also, buy Belle and Sebastian's "Push Barman To Open Old Wounds." And post, dang it.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio