Monday, September 29, 2008

"yeah, you and your fellow tree lovers."

~one of my youth talking about politics and my i like trees shirt.

weekend was gee-double-oh-dee.

friday night matt brought me home a chicken fajita spud for dinner (one of my faves) and we hung out in our pajamas and watched a good portion of heroes season 2. matt hadn't seen it so we had to catch up before watching the premiere (which, by the way, I was NOT impressed with. as a matter of fact all of the premieres I've watched this season have been so-so.)

saturday the refrigerator repair man came to give the fridge a backwards tilt so our freezer door wouldn't sit open anymore, and then we got ready for our 130 belaying time. for those of you that don't know, the belayer is the person with the rope, the one who keeps you from falling.

on the way we were wondering how old the kids would be--five year olds that were afraid of heights? rockin' climbers? fifteen year old punks?

we arrived to see a room FULL of men. grown men. in their mid-to-late thirties. matt began looking for their children. I immediately found myself a little anxious. because, well, we weren't belaying children. we were belaying these grown men!

and it was pretty hilarious--there were three guys belaying for that party, and I GUARANTEE you that I belayed 2-3 times as many people as they did! part of it was most certainly location--I tied in to the same route and had probably 5-6 people go in a row--and some of it was that they wanted to see each other try to climb. but matt says that some of it was 'cause I'm a cute girl and that there was an "appropriate amount of ogling. not too much." thank GOODNESS greg gave me the belay device with jaws (more friction=carrie's hands hurt less) and a lot of the guys were content to just be spectators. and thank goodness for anchors as well. yeesh!

next was home to watch more heroes and clean up for dinner with luke & julie. mmm manchesters! I need to warn y'all when the four of us are going to get together though--seems it's guaranteed to pour while we're at dinner. I used one of the gift certificates from restaurant.com and we called it a night after dinner. we stopped into cvs on our way home and once I saw the halloween aisle I NEEDED candy corn. thanks a lot, lara. unfortch, cvs does not carry brach's candy corn, and we needed to go by kroger anyway for some washing soda, so we got it there. unfortch also, kroger doesn't carry brach's mellowcreme pumpkins! I was able to score some at target after church though. :) and thankfully they have no high fructose corn syrup. score.

more heroes, then sleeping. mmmmm sleep.

and sunday I had to be at church EARLY to sing and to take pictures of our new members. I'm our church's unofficial photographer, y'see. I got some fun stuff at target (see the pumpkins and the dish towel? and the table runner?) and I came home to find Matt had put up two of our mirrors, see? YAY! I made him brunch and we watched the premiere of heroes before he went to give plasma. (gobi helped me take pictures, see?)




on the list of things we'd rather our children have? his veins. not mine. they are TINY. and don't let me have blood taken so well.

I napped with the kitties and went rug shopping. I found some, bought some, and found out I have one that is WAY too big and one that is WAY too small. Yes, we measured. One was mismarked and the other exceeded our minimum size, but is just too wide!

and then there was youth. a cookout. VERY fun, got to talk to one of the youth about being a chemical engineer (he's thinking about studying that) and got made fun of for liking the environment. yippee. I was told that McCain was "the RIGHT choice." ugh. I mean, think what you want, seriously, but don't tell me I'm wrong when honestly? There is no perfect candidate. duh.

next was homework and cooking and then bedtime. see, low-key for me!

ps: my friend shannon has gone into a coma and they are giving her 24-48 hours, give or take.

4 comments:

KaritaG said...

OMG the politics are about to kill me. Seriously. I just don't understand why people have to be so narrow...I totally have my own opinions, but I could never dream of saying my way was the only way, you know? I think it's sort of the curse of the Democrats, the whole "both sides of the coin" thing. We statistically tend to be more tolerant of differing viewpoints...which is a GOOD thing, I keep wanting to remind people!

M. said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm keeping her family in my thoughts.

Ariel Merritt said...

that's terrible news about shannon. i'm so sorry.

The Writer said...

Check it:

http://www.rei.com/product/750087

http://www.rei.com/product/750087

Super cool.

Want. One.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio