Monday, August 27, 2007

so, let me get this straight...


I woke up this morning with terrible stomach cramps.

I went to the doctor and she thinks I maybe have appendicitis.

On the basis of her examination she had the referral lady call my insurance to have a CT done, and they say "yeah, we want to talk to her doctor directly"--I mean, yeah, it's not like they didn't already know that she'd TOLD the referral lady to, y'know, call them with this info?

I hate my insurance company.

I get that they want to approve tests and make sure they aren't superfluous. but seriously?!? ugh. so I sat in my doctor's office for an hour waiting on the referral lady to come and tell me to go home, that they'd call me later.

I'm really hoping it isn't appendicitis. I'm only showing some of the symptoms, and the surgery and recovery sounds like no fun. And it's possible that if it isn't appendicitis then it's just a weird reaction to something I ate last night.

but really, do doctors routinely order CTs for shits and giggles? and it's not like appendicitis is some ultra-random thing. one site I saw said that six of every one hundred people will have it. So anyway, NOW it's approved, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to go instead of doing it this afternoon. which is dumb.

happy note though: I did not faint when they took my blood. I didn't even feel woozy, much. maybe some day they can start taking my blood like they do a normal person...

additionally, thanks for the support/input on my last post. :)

5 comments:

C. said...

Yes, doctors order random tests for no apparent reason. I went to the ER once for really scary chest pains. The doctor pressed on my chest, I confirmed that it hurt buckets of pain, and he said, "I know exactly what's wrong with you, but I'd like to take some X-rays and EKGs anyway."

And guess what? He was right about being right.

Idiot.

-Christina

Ariel and Chris said...

On the interview trail Chris met a girl who threw up all over the dean of medicine's desk during her interview with him. Turns out she had appendicitis and was sent to the ER later that day. Thought I would share that with you in case you wanted to try to throw up on people you don't like.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I am about to make my baby sister totally cringe when I say I'm sending you some ...

...


here it comes

...

wait for it

...

Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup with a
Soda on the Side

:) I just couldn't resist!

I really hope you're feeling better soon!

melissa said...

what the heck? don't be sicky. : (

Jax said...

1. Yes, docs order random tests BUT
2. It's b/c they get sued all the time (from the former doc defense lawyer here)
3. You're better off anyway b/c if you DID have an app. and it ruptured you could be in serious trouble.
4. If youd havent heard back, call them and follow up. Often, appendicitis symptoms subside right after the rupture which fools people. Do you know how many cases we had where the doc just forgot to follow up and something happened? Not to scare you, but still...

It could also be a cyst. The CT should detect that, though.

Feel better and best of luck, chica!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio