Thursday, August 23, 2007

proud as a peacock!

so today? it's a good carrie day. for starters, because today I am twenty six point eight three repeating years old. and I like that. but that's merely the tip of the iceberg. I'm proud as a peacock, but not all overly so--proud as a (reasonable and humble, at least as peacocks go) peacock. better? goodie goodie gumdrops.

a lot of the good-day-ness comes from last night. I played softball right after work, and we kicked ass. the final score was twelve-three, we only let seven of their runners get on base, I did quite well catching thankyouverymuch and I was even applauded for my running my heart out to get on base.

but the best part was actually the catching, and here's why...

so, we're in the fourth inning, and paul, the "meister" is pitching. and he's doing well, so I start saying something different and positive after each strike--"ooh, that was pretty!" or "just lovely!" or "fantastic!" and it turned into a game...every strike got an adjective. so paul was focusing on wondering what I'd say next...and he moved from pitching "well" to pitching "incredibly"!

another fun part of this little event was that their first baseman was a real mouthy guy, and as I started saying the words, he said "you better be careful. you're gonna run out of adjectives!" I informed him, politely, that I didn't think he knew who he was talking to, that I could spout 'em the whole game, thanks. and know what? I sure did.

never get involved in a vocabulary duel with Carrie. or, you know, a land war in Asia. one or the other. ha!

and today I got an email thanking me for having done so, telling me he's never had so much fun pitching ever before. :)

yaaay carrie!

next, after a lickety-split plant-watering-showering-hair-drying-clothes-changing event (which took about 20 minutes, yikes!) I scurried off to church to practice with Lucinda. We're singing the offertory on Sunday, and we're doing a duet (we're singing Come and Find the Quiet Center for those of you who know it, which is prolly just Renee). And it was nice to see the people at my church (a lot of people were there painting, we're doing a mini-makeover) and hang out with Lucinda and hear how her daughter thinks I'm "the bomb" and sing. There was a Bible study thingie going on in the sanctuary, but they let us practice with the mikes and they said it was quite pretty.

the only bad part is that we were then bamboozled into singing at BOTH services instead of just the later one. boooo. oh well, at least they said I can just show up at 900 and come knock on the door and Joe will slip out and practice with me. :)

so today I am proud of my copious adjectives, my singing, the rocktastic softball team also known as toxic was, and (I'm opting not to tell the whole stories but) I'm proud too to have my friends, like Marla and Mary Alise and of my family and I'm proud to have Matt, too. and it makes me all smiley. :D

also, sidenote: did you know that some people consider peacocks bad luck? interestingly, they do.

2 comments:

SJ said...

I really, really, really, really wish vocabulary dueling was as exciting as dueling in Harry Potter.

WHITE: "Azaleas!"

RED: "Quartermaster!"

WHITE: "Valetudinarianism!"

RED: "Syzygy!"

JUDGE: "Winner - WHITE!"

Anonymous said...

You rock, my friend! Congrats on the game -- and I won't feel sorry for you about the singing -- at least people want you to sing and don't just cringe and laugh! :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio