Monday, February 12, 2007

and then jesus sucker-punched me.

~reverend jay minnick

so, I really dig my church. really really. it's good stuff. I like the people, the building and the pastor--and what he has to say. (anybody else humming "I am the church?" well I am. anyhoo, moving on) So, I imagine y'all ('specially you bible-belters) are familiar with the beatitudes (which is in the Gospel of Matthew)--but are you familiar with Luke's version-- Luke 6:20-26? (and include 27-45 for good measure.)

well, yesterday at church our pastor preached on this--and how Jesus sucker-punched him. How there's a hook in this--how He gets you.

and you know something? He does.

it's all happy and intriguing in the beginning. you find yourself thinking, "hey, I'm poor/hungry/weeping." He's talking about me. You're in, you're caught, your attention is rapt. And then you hear the rest of it--and whoa.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you're reading this blog, chances are that in the beginning it's not you or me He's talking about. (not to say it's all been decided for us. because I don't believe it has. but you and me? we're doing a-o-k, methinks. I mean, seriously...)
sometimes it's very helpful to be reminded that our troubles aren't nearly as big or awful as we tend to make them. we often need a good healthy dose of perspective. and as I'm in this february funk (well-coined, kat--and the spring IS teasing us...good thing it's near!) I needed to hear this.

by most of the world's standards I'm an over-fed, privileged wealthy gal with a plush life, and though my trials and tribulations (if you can even call them that) may have been a bit more--let's go with varied and intense--than some of my friends/acquaintances, and even though I feel like I'm pretty much broke right now, all in all things are good for me. Realistically, all of my things to complain about are pretty superficial (as in surface, not as in ohmygosh, like totally). I'm having to suppress the urge to make another things-I'm-lucky-for list, really. Because I know that if I did I'd have a longer list than any of you are willing to read--and that just proves my point.

and, too--I have NEVER been persecuted for my beliefs. Ever. I've been questioned. Or people have teased me. Or I've been frustrated. Or limited. Or whatever. But never persecuted. That word is WAY stronger than anything I've ever experienced. Ever.

and while on one hand this revelation/wake-up call stings, on the other hand, it's refreshing to realize that there's so much I can do, and so much I have and so many ways I can help. it hurts to have this reality displayed so candidly, so honestly, but I think it's one of those good hurts. a healthy hurt. a cleansing one, even.

and I like it.

2 comments:

Corrie said...

We went to a new church yesterday and that is exactly what the pastor taught on. Maybe all Methodist churches use the same text each week?
I loved the contrast between blessed and woe.
The pastor used this and anyone who is a teacher can relate to this...I thought it was a funny commentary...

Then Jesus took his disciples up on the mountain and gathered them around Him. And then He taught them, saying:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
Blessed are the meek,
Blessed are the merciful,
Blessed are you who thirst for justice,
Blessed are you who are persecuted,
Blessed are the peacemakers."

And Simon Peter said, "Do we have to write this stuff down?"

And Philip said, "Will this be on the test?"

And Andrew said, "John the Baptist's disciples don't have to learn this stuff."

And Matthew said, "Huh?"

And Judas said, "When am I ever going to use this in real life?"

Then one of the Pharisees, an expert in law, said, "I don't see any of this in the syllabus. Do you have a lesson plan? Is there an activity for each of the seven intelligences? Where is the study guide? Will there be any authentic assessment? Will remediation and extra credit be provided for those who did not meet class requirements so they can still pass?"

And Thomas, who had missed the sermon, came to Jesus privately and said, "Did we do anything important today?"

And Jesus wept.

care said...

that's funny. thanks for sharing. :)

and yeah, it's the methodist lectionary. unless the pastor chooses to change it, we'll hear the same scripture all over the country!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio