Wednesday, November 29, 2006

oregon for thanksgiving: saturday (and sunday)

this one's a quickie. because, well, saturday went by quickly...

we were *going* to go on an underground tour of portland, but it was sold out. however, it worked out for the best, as instead we went to multnomah falls! It was so pretty but cold and misty, and we totally gave up about halfway up the trail. I don't go on vacay to work, dang it!

I took a whole lot of pictures--they're here.

Then, after some much-needed eggnog latte and/or biscotti (my first ever, by the way) and/or hot chocolate, I hugged a tree. I had really really been looking forward to finding a big big tree and hugging it. (seriously!)
and jeremy and I noticed the funny sign on the bathroom. maybe it's hibernating for the winter? who knows?!?
And here's Jeremy and me in front of the falls!

we had dinner at Kim's sister Jessica's house, and it was g-double-o-d. Jessica's two sons, Braydon and Damion, kept making Jeremy dress up, and at one point made me too.

The younger one, Braydon, insisted I take pictures of both him and me under the tree (he posed me like that, by the way--he was very particular!),


and he had to take this one too. he insisted! yikes.
and here's Atanas getting in on the picture action. LOTS of pictures.

We also had a very interesting convo about tattoos. Getting them, why people get them, what they get, the process, etc. And then, someone told a story about a white supremacist guy in the army with a swastika tattoo on his chest who refused to shower because he knew what might be in store for him once his tattoos were seen. I said, "man, I can't believe that people put stuff like that on their bodies. Like, something so offensive. I mean, I understand that it means something to him, but really....I understand tattoos of crosses or other such symbols (icthuses, the hindi version of the swastika, the celtic tree of life, what have you) but I don't think that crosses are offensive in nearly the same way."

boy, was I wrong.
[apparently]
eventually, we agreed that the difference in the two--the swastika v. the cross, is intent. By wearing a cross or having a tattoo of one you aren't announcing your hatred of someone/thing/body. but the cross, in some cultures, can offend someone.

I guess. again with me feeling rather conservative, again. le sigh.

then, after the hug line for the boys, and the hugs and goodbyes for the adults, it was off to the airport for my redeye flight. yuck. I got terribly annoyed while there because 1) they didn't have a seat for me yet, 2) I was flying on two airlines and therefore couldn't check in my bags curbside and 3) I had to walk and walk and walk to find a place to buy water--I have never been so pleased not to buy something with alcohol in a bar, EVER. Thank goodness I found some H2O though.

and? my body is STILL not adjusted back. STILL. this was probably helped immensely by the girl next to me on the four hour flight from portland to chicago--the one who smacked her gum the whole damn time? yeah, her. she needs a bad haircut. grrrr....

but, I made it home safe, sound and uneventfully.

tomorrow: about my gray phase.

1 comments:

Turner said...

I'm with you abot the swastika. people from Oregon are weird :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio