Sunday, August 13, 2006

what does god look like?

this morning I woke up early, and though I'd only slept six hours I couldn't get back to sleep. so I went to the early service for what may be the first time in my adult life.

the minister talked about the many names of God--Stronghold, Lord, Adonai, Yahweh, Father, King, Master, Creator, Mother, Peace, Shepherd, Peace, etc. and then he talked about what God looks like.

and of course we don't know for sure, and there's many times in the Bible where we're told that we aren't able to see Him. But maybe we all have a picture in our heads...and apparently that's something that tells a lot about each of us. Pop culture has given us George Burns, Morgan Freeman and Alanis Morissette as representations of God. When I picture God I only see his hands. just a pair of really, really big hands.

guess I think God is a giant? ;)

seriously, though. how do you picture God?

3 comments:

LO said...

i see it/him/her as a large orb of white light/energy/life force

:O said...

Your image of God might stem from your formative years being spent near the Praying Hands...

I've seen God. He looked just like me. He was me. He is you.

care said...

I think you're right Eddie. It's either that or the song "He's got the whole world in His hands."

but, for the record, when I see them they aren't bronze or praying. they are outstretched.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio