Friday, June 16, 2006

emulation and an irrational fear of cake.

Why do people copy other people? I don’t mean the kind of copying that happens accidentally (like Sterling picking up methinks or my new L.O.V.E. of spelling out words for emphasis), I mean outright, blatant copying. Especially of inside jokes. Gah!

Have you ever been to Moe’s? You know, the southwestern grill/burrito place (similar to a chipotle or atomic burrito or whatever) where they say “Welcome to Moe’s!” every time someone walks in the door? Well, we say it all the time. And it’s funny.

And now one of our co-workers is doing it too, but without the oomph, and without understanding what it actually means. Which is annoying. It’s not like it’s a secret or anything.

It makes sense that people copy another out of admiration. Or just plain liking what they do/say/wear/think. But it doesn’t make sense to repeat something that is, essentially, nonsensical, just to do what someone else does. (man, that was an awkward sentence). Yeesh.

Also, I believe I have developed an irrational fear of this little guy.


Otto’s favorite-est cake?
German chocolate. A delectable chocolate cake with a caramel-coconut-pecan frosting.

My least favorite things? mushrooms, mayo, judgmental/hateful people, coconut and pecans.

Riiiiight.

Good news? I’m leaving work at 1230. Bad news? I’m baking this cake. And it’s complicated. Not un-deity-ly so, but complicated. And I’m going to make it. Because I love Otto. And what says I love you more than spending like two hours baking a cake filled/covered with things that I don’t like so that I won’t eat it? Especially when you're super worried you're going to screw it up...the frosting is a ridiculous labor-intensive half and hour project, all by itself!

Anyhoo. Let the birthday festivities begin! I’m sure I’ll post seventy million pictures, don’t worry!


update: the cake was yummy. even for a coconut-and-pecan-avoiding person like myself. once the guys realized that there was cake to be had, it was promptly eaten, leaving me only a post-eating picture to take. and the only reason there's leftovers is because it's a triple layer with extra frosting. (it isn't supposed to go on the sides, but that's what the birthday boy wanted, so I made more). it wasn't difficult as much as it was tedious/time consuming. but next time I may just use the box-version, because otto informed me that that's how his mom made it, and I didn't need to do all this stiffly-beaten-egg-whites stuff. sigh. he should have told me a little sooner--like BEFORE I was folding in the egg whites. but whatev.

4 comments:

Turner said...

I'm still searching the ancient scrolls of cake-dom, but I'm close to proving that German Chocolate Cake was originally created for the purpose of a prank.

I'm with you. GCC is the most UN-appealing cake in the known world.. except for mud-pie.. but that doesn't count because its a pie.

brooke knight said...

i believe in your cake-making skillz. as long as it doesnt get dried out, i LOVE ger chocolate! maybe that is because my family is german???

sadkingjonathan said...

No, it's because German Chocolate cake is delicious.

Unknown said...

German Chocolate turns out to be a bit less complicated than you think it will be. I made one once with only minor hassle, and I'm not much of a baker. Good Luck!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio