Thursday, December 22, 2005

candles, bread and grape juice

No, that's not a weird meal. It's the situation about which I'm disappointed. See, except for last year and the year I was downing codiene-infused cough syrup, I've been to a Christmas Eve candlelight service pretty much every year of my life. I was quite bummed last year as I completed my fifth of nine or so total hours at O'Hare, talking to the guy from Kentucky sitting next to me in the bar, when I realized that there was NO way I'd get to Tulsa in time to go to the Christmas Eve service. I even found one to go to the first year I lived in chapel hill, despite having to contact six or seven churches to find one that I liked...

So, I've been looking for one to go to in Shallotte, NC...and it ain't happening.

Probably because I kind of have strict requirements.
1. United Methodist.
2. No Communion.
3. have candles.
4. there's not any other requirements.

But alas, the country bumpkin churches up there are all about the Communion on Christmas Eve. Which I think is kind of dumb. See, here's my logic: although I fully agree that the significance of Jesus lies heavily on the fact that He gave us forgiveness for our sins through his death, I believe that this is the time to celebrate His pretty darn cool birth, what with the star and Immaculate Conception and all. To me, it's not a time to remember His death and sacrifice through Communion, instead we should be joyful and thankful. Maybe it's just me. But now that I'm a pseudo-grown up I think I should get to be picky about what kind of service I go to, and it's unfortunate that my current option is none at all. If Otto's family goes to church, I'll go, but I kind of doubt they will--at some point or another they've learned about being a Jehovah's Witness, and though only one of them is still one, the rest are rather jaded from that experience. And since they don't celebrate holidays, well, you get the picture.

I'm also kinda wishing I were coming to Tulsa. But I'm not. And I would rather visit when I have more vacation and things aren't so hectic, but still...

On a brighter note, it's so so so close to the weekend, and to Christmas, and hurrah! :)

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio