Thursday, October 20, 2005

girl scouts together

that is our song.

wowo.
Ellen Bolen and I had sushi and a peanut butter fudge torte together last night, and it was SPLENDID. We had oodles of fun. And it's crazy, because if someone told us, like, 17 years ago that when we were 24 we'd still be hanging out we would have looked at them like they were insane, or like they could tell the future, or like they were Michael J Fox coming back from it.

Sometimes reminiscing is unpleasant and painful. But other times, like this one, it's just damn fun. It's also weird to find out what you lose track of by not keeping in touch. Ellen didn't know that my father had never gotten re-married, and she also didn't know that he was deceased. Plus, the story is just rotten. Awkward. Anyhoo.

So, one of the things that Ellen and I talked about was the Girl Scout songs, and how we still knew them all. It's unreal, really. Really, really unreal. My brain can't remember thermo, but lyrics that make no sense are retained. Ha!

Talking about Scouting with Ellen made me really, really glad I stuck with it. Really. I hope that when I have kids some day they'll be scouts. Hell, even my Granddad was a Girl Scout. But it's a swell thing to be. Even more swell if you get to talk to someone who understands it too.

and now it's neat that Ellen, who used to be silver when we learned this song has now become gold. :)

make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold.

1 comments:

brooke knight said...

oh you've made me sad that i had to move away and not get the gold award! i did love scouting, however...i still remember when my old troop in elementary learned "make new friends" in (probably really bad) german for a multicultural festival thing. nice to be in touch with you!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio