Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Oh dear.

Have you ever been in, say, a discussion, and realized that at some point in your life you took pretty much the opposite view? Well, I did that today, and the topic was abortion.

Did you know that some people consider the pill/ring/shot to be a form of abortion? I didn’t. It’s an interesting idea. I totally don’t agree, but I find it intriguing.

Anyway, I’ve now chimed in to their discussion, and I’m kind of wishing I hadn’t. The worst thing these people could say to me about it is “I’ll pray for you.” I genuinely appreciate prayers, but not of the pity variety. I feel kind of bad for saying that though, so I think I’ll just say thanks to those of you who have encouraged me to be me, and to think and explore and wonder and believe. And thanks for those of you who challenged me when I was younger [even you, Eddie ;) ].

I think it’s interesting how people wax and wane from conservatives to liberals and in-between. How they change and morph, and how that makes them change as people. My ex had this concept of conservation of happiness—that there wasn’t enough happiness to go between the two of us, so one of us was always unhappy or we were both neutral. As it turns out we were just unhappy, but I like his idea because it corresponds to the first law of thermodynamics. (PS, this made me laugh) Maybe there’s a conservation of conservatism too—for everyone that becomes liberal more have to join the conservative pack. It would be able relative strength of conservative viewpoint—not just sheer numbers. Maybe it’s some weird balance that has to be maintained or everything goes apeshit. Hmm.

Also, I have a mild (or not-so-mild) obsession with the sky. I keep taking pictures of it and wanting to paint it. What’s that all about, huh? It's a new, sudden thing, and those catch my attention once I realize they're happening.

Finally, the grandmother thing is over. No more worrying about that. She hasn't said anything, but I'm calling it. It's over until she wants to talk to me directly. The end :)

5 comments:

:O said...

Aww, you're welcome Carrie. Twas nothing. Thanks for thanking me. Makes up for some of the guilt I've had to bear for making you cry so much in high school. I've made you cry more than most of my girlfriends!

I consider my argumentative nature to be one of my biggest character flaws-- one that I have been desperately trying to break myself of-- really I've just been trying not to "care" so much and to just let things go-- to not be so intense-- so to hear you say that makes me feel a little bit less like an asshole. Which is good.

My favorite law of thermodynamics is the third one because I feel like it provides a sort of scientific basis for metempsychosis.



"Let them know you realize that life goes fast/it's hard to make the good things last/you realize the sun doesn't go down/it's just an illusion caused by the world/spinning round..."


"I'm a soul man! Doodoodo doodoodo deedoo!"

care said...

as long as it's only *some* of the guilt. :) But seriously, at least you now know I was listening...
through the tears.

just kidding.

would have been funnier in person. I should say I still don't totally agree with you, but I'm WAAAAY more liberal now. WAAAY WAAAY WAAAAAAAAY. And I like it.

also, because I just thought of it, this one's for you, Sterling--either way my face will be wet... ;)

Renee B. said...

so the slippery slope of that argument about birth control is that then every time you PREVENT the creation of life (i.e. birth control) you are, in essence, performing an abortion - so every time a woman has a period that means she has not gotten pregnant, has prevented to creation of life, an egg has "died" and she has, therefore, had an abortion.

WTF?

care said...

ah, not exactly.

here's the facts, which I have not researched, and don't intend to, because quite frankly I have better things to do, like laundry.

but anyway.
okay, so roughly 5% or less of the time breakthrough ovulation occurs with some types of the pill. uncommon, but possible. so, let's say that there's breakthrough ovulation, and this little eggie gets fertilized by a little spermie. Well, then this new zygotie (which some consider a human being) is then still (apparently)released out of the body. Thus, this zygote is not allowed to develop into a baby, and it's considered by some to be abortion--abortifacient, if you will.

also, there are two issues--a "barrier" between the "marital embrace" and the abortion. That's it in a nutshell.

And I don't want to begin a political forum here, I'm just telling you my understanding of the viewpoints of some Catholics. So that's what I got.

Renee B. said...

i was just sharing an interesting argument i heard in a philosophy class once. it was used rather effectively and i had never thought of it like that.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio