Friday, April 29, 2005

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Okay, so I have little or no reason to ask that (you do get it, don’t you?), but I couldn’t help it ‘cause I think it’s hilarious. Very, very funny, if you ask me. Which, by reading my blog, I think you technically do.

So, since I was political a few days ago I think I’ll be more philosophical today.

Last night, over beers at the flying saucer (which the guys refer to as the flying sausage, since there are tons of males and not so many females in Raleigh) we waxed. And waxed. And waxed. Wax on, wax off, y’know?

But it was good. A different way of thinking than I’m used to. And here’s the gist of it.

So perhaps, God or the Universe or Karma or whom/whatever gives people skills, abilities, experiences not necessarily to teach them (though they often do learn from it) but instead because they alone are able to handle it. For instance, you’re capable of, say, climbing a mountain. Or performing in front of people. Or handling going through a divorce. Or teaching. Or being an engineer or artist or comedian or lawyer or mother or boss. The end result is still pretty much the same—you learn, you grow, you experience. But it’s about your having the capacity to deal instead of you being subjected to it. Makes me feel a lot better about some of the shit-tastic stuff I’ve had the privilege of going through.

I also learned that I have a drinking super power. Allegedly, anyhow.
It’s the ability to drink and drink and drink and reach a drunk-ness plateau and keep drinking, and maintain the plateau. Eventually there is the possibility of a sleep incline ending in booting without rallying (they call it boot and rally instead of puke and rally here—weird, huh?), but that’s rather unlikely to occur. Anyhow, that’s my drinking super power. Reaching the plateau.

Tonight is the Hillsborough Hike. What’s that, you ask? An event at NC State that’s held on the last day of classes each semester. It’s awesome, apparently. What you do is this—begin at one end of Hillsborough Street and have alcohol from every establishment that sells it. Some businesses only sell beer or whatever on this night. It’s a HUGE. And you’re supposed to go chug a beer at the bell tower, which is cool too. I think maybe we’re going. Except that tomorrow…

I have to be at registration for a 5K walk at 830 AM.
I am meeting Otto’s extended family on his mother’s side.
We are celebrating his grandmother’s 80th birthday.

So maybe that’s not the best idea we’ve ever had. But I’m an NC State student now, and I should revel in their traditions. So I’ll let you know if we’re going.

Last, but not least, I need an opinion. I’m supposed to write a bio for our book jacket. Here’s my rough-draft. Think 50 words. Opinions? Am I missing something super important about myself? Should I leave something out?

A pun-loving ChEand KayDee from Tulsa, Oklahoma, CR enjoys acrylic paint, laughter and daisies. She has loved, lost and is thankful that she has learned. Carrie currently lives in NC, where she appreciates the greens of trees and misses the oranges of the OK sky.
thanks, yo.

7 comments:

SJ said...

It's perfect. Cut and print.

care said...

'cept I'm not 100% sure I can say that I'm a Kappa Delta. They have weird rules about that, I think. I'm checking. But I'm glad you like it.

Someone told me it should say "oranges of the Oklahoma sky" else it seems like there's fruit in the sky.

SJ said...

No clue on KD rules.

Whoa, that just reminded me of KD Dobbins. That's someone I haven't thought of in, oh, 6 years. no, scratch that, I didn't think of him when he was around. So, 8 years.

And yeah, 'of' is probably better.

SJ said...

....

Sometimes Adam frightens me.

SJ said...

Also, I think we're all missing a vital pice of information here:

You're meeting his family? No, his EXTENDED family?

Wow. That's...that's big.

care said...

not that big, they're all coming in town because of a 5K benefit walk hosted by one of their family members. It's not that they're coming in on account of me or anything....

and you know I've stayed at his parent's house three times, right?

SJ said...

Nope. But I know now. And Project Super Secret is KILLING ME!!!!

But that's ok. It'll be finished today. But I haven't slept in two days. No, scratch that. Since last Monday. Damn! Sigh. It'll all be over soon.

And how many comments can I leave on this one post alone? Anser: a lot. I'm tired. Must...go back..to work....

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio