Wednesday, March 30, 2005

big brave dog.

That’s what I’m trying to be.

But it’s not as easy as it usually seems. I mean, as we all know, being brave is never easy. At times, however, the conviction behind it makes it seem effortless.

Me? Having conviction? Damn straight.
Me? Liking my given name? Damn straight.
Me? Handling the questions and looks and double takes and comments? Not so much.

Someone told me yesterday that he’s praying for me. He meant it, I know. And he told me that he thinks I’m a very neat person. Which is very flattering.

But, unless you’re like, going through surgery or are grieving or something, hearing that someone is praying for you can be a hard thing to swallow. Just a little. I mean, everyone needs prayer. But for what is he praying? For strength? For God’s will to be done? For me to change my mind and stay with him because marriage is an eternal commitment to each other and to God?

I don’t know.

And that’s why it bothers me.

Also, the VP of Engineering was buying a soda yesterday, and I was in line behind him at the vending maching. He’s rather intimidating, but actually nice and very observant. And he asked me why I changed my last name. So I told him. And at least he had the social grace to say “I’m sorry.” And then recover with “or maybe I’m not sorry.” And I let him know that he shouldn’t be sorry, that I was very pleased with the change. As well I should be. Right? Right.

I also changed my name on my credit cards yesterday. I still love Discover. This very bubbly and boisterous woman helped me. I told her I my name had returned to my maiden name, so I needed to change it on my card, because I was getting a divorce. And for the very first time in my whole life I was likened to Jennifer Aniston. It was funny. This lady was so nice to me, and she totally made my day. Totally.

3 comments:

SJ said...

She's getting a divorce from Brad Pitt, right? Her soon to be ex husband Brad Pit...?

...You did know they were married?

...You didn't know. Oh. Well, they were married.

Anyway, she's getting divorced from him, and her publicist announced it this week, saying she was going to go back to her maiden name.

Of Aniston.

Which is what it's been the entire time they've been married.

THE ENTIRE. FREAKING. TIME.

Why am I not a publicist? I can say dumb sh*t. I do it all the time. I just don't get paid for it.

Renee B. said...

her legal name was Pitt while they were married (so i heard on the radio). but jennifer pitt sounds stupid (and jennifer pitt isn't famous, jenn-ee-for an-ee-ston is) so they just called her what they always called her.

and now carrie's legal name is what i always called her cause i could never remember to call her by that other name. :-)

(i hope somebody caught the SNL reference)

SJ said...

Huh.

Well, color me corrected.

Get it? Color corrected? Like film?

Sigh. I need better jokes.

S.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio