Friday, June 06, 2008

"green design is a trend the way indoor plumbing is a trend."

~excerpt from an N&O article on gen y and their housing. quite interesting. and I thought I was like the youngest you could be and be gen x. maybe not? hmm.

are you sure this is a friday? it totally doesn't *feel* like a friday. all day long it's been dragging and I'm not excited about the weekend--I mean, I AM, I have awesome plans tonight and tomorrow and I'm packing too but I just feel. so. worn. out.

I am beat. fo sho.

So, some eco-factoids for you, because they've been painfully absent the past while.

I read this article and was shocked by this statement "With the livestock sector responsible for 18 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined emissions of all forms of transportation, all those beef burgers add up to extra carbon in the atmosphere." I knew that being veggie helped but I didn't know exactly how much, or if I did I forgot it, I feel like my brain is forgetting everything right now!

but anyway, so last night we had one of my fave chicken fajita things for dinner--the chicken fajita spud from mcalister's. when I got it I was like "Matt, does this normally have tomatoes?" He said yes. I said "it just, it just...looks funny." I ate a few bites before it occurred to me--it looked funny 'cause it didn't have chicken!!!

I called the place and politely told them (and reminded them of how initially the ticket said, according to matt, chicken spud no jalepenos, and how the manager saw it and realized it was supposed to be chicken fajita spud not chicken spud) and we get a free meal next time we go. Also, Matt reminded me that I shouldn't complain, I was eating vegetarian and that's good for the planet.

by the by, this means I haven't had meat in...um....wow. either tuesday lunch or definitely monday for dinner. that's longer than usual.

also, I liked this about watering plants and I might have to get the healthier planet thing. my composter arrived this week and I'm still waiting on my book about being green. I'll let you know how they work.

and this made me sad. it's about pet owners. if you are an animal lover or get upset easily this will definitely make you pout. or cry. or just be sad.

oooh, and I've been looking at rugs. they are NOT cheap. I found one at Home Goods I liked though. It's a dark red and might look just awesome under my dining table. I dunno. I may have found a lot of different places and rugs that I like. by the way each of those words has a link! some are FAR too pricey but still fun ideas. and does anyone know about sisal rugs? I was thinking about getting one for the dining area or maybe downstairs.

anyway I am reallyreally excited about it! yay for decorating!


and I just thought these things (1,2) were neat! and if you want to take a tour of the model-ish home, you can see it here. I like some of it, but some of it is UGLY.

and I've been making all sorts of plans for my home--the paint on the walls, looking at open shelving, prioritizing what we need immediately (like a table for the breakfast nook, which might be matt's table if we refinish it) and what can wait (like a bar downstairs or patio furniture). it's kind of exciting. and WAY more exciting now that I'm going with a loan that won't cost me as much up front.

huge. weight. off. shoulders. and that woman? totally just wanted her commission, didn't even care about "my best interests." good lord. that extra super pisses me off. royally and a half. anyway.

and, a poll. just wondering what you guys think. I am anxious about how there are so many corners and the kitchen and windows and all the colors and everything. I know Matt and I could do it, and we're totally painting the bedroom and the downstairs ourselves, but it seems like this might require a little more finesse and attention, and john says he's a perfectionist an I believe him. anyway, just collecting opinions.

happy weekend!

3 comments:

melissa said...

regarding your statement about livestock, how about this one: "For every 16 pounds of grain and soy fed to beef cattle in the United States we only get 1 pound back in meat on our plates. The other 15 pounds are inaccessible to us, either used by the animal to produce energy or to make some part of its body that we do not eat (like hair or bones) or excreted. To give you some basis for comparison, 16 pounds of grain has twenty-one times more calories and eight times more protein - but only three times more fat - than a pound of hamburger." -Diet for a Small Planet, Frances Moore Lappe

Tonya said...

Hiya! I totallyh ave no clue as to the painting project -- so far we've always done our own, but out sunroom is SOOO big and has such tall ceilings that we will probably hire that out.
As for sisal rugs, the one thing to keep in mind is if your cats are not declawed that will become their clawing ground. Sisal is frequently used for scratching posts, etc. If they are declawed it shouldn't be an issue. :)

Anonymous said...

I was immediately drawn to the rug with the orange section in it! Love it!!!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio