Wednesday, April 16, 2008

hfcs, fbi, bhm, twc, mls.

ah, acronyms/abbreviations. mmm mmm good.

I went to my communications meeting last night. They suggested that I chair it next year. I'm pretty sure that ain't happening, thanks. I feel like I just get asked and asked and asked. If I stopped doing youth then maybe, but we'll see.

Last night I decided to drive around and look for townhouses in my area, and I found two complexes I didn't even know were there! Okay well really one I kind of knew about--the neighborhood, anyway--and the other was news to me. They are in Durham but sosososo close to Wake county and Raleigh, so you get the tax benefit of durham with the benefit of a spit-and-you'll-hit-it distance to Raleigh.

One of the complexes is literally across the street from where I live. It's a mix of houses and townhomes. I could potentially afford an actual home in that neighborhood, but I don't want to deal with a real yard yet, and I like the energy-saving way townhomes work (if you have two or three cold/hot walls instead of four, you know?) . For instance, here's an example of one I'd want to see. There are also some 2.5 miles down the road (and closer to matt, who travels to my house, oh, 4-5 times a week, so he'd be saving 20-25 miles a week, basically a gallon of gas) like this one. Which is more than I want to spend, but it gives me an idea of what's available (and there are others that are cheaper like this one.)

so anyway, this is TOTALLY promising news, as some of these are 10-20% cheaper than the ones I was checking out in Raleigh, and that would make me WAY more comfy with my payments.

and for money saving--I've also decided I'm going to buy a dv-r and stop renting from time warner. I only use the basic channels anyway, so this digital cable they require is totally unnecessary for me. I don't care if I can see the newscaster's pores! Besides, between that and the availability of online episodes, I am pretty sure I'm golden.

I was FINALLY able to book Matt and my flights to Mary Alise's wedding. I've been monitoring flights for like two months and change and was hoping for a little dip in price. I usually LOVE sidestep, but I actually had to write them a mean letter because for TWO days their price listed was less than nwa actually wanted.

today over my lunch I also had to talk to the fbi about justin. no one told me not to talk about it, so I assume I can. It was refreshing to realize that this little phrase sums him up "he's a really good guy, he just was lacking as a husband, to me." which honestly is better than most people can say about exes. they asked me questions, made sure there was nothing criminal that caused our divorce, etc. kind of weird though...

oh, and I bought some seventh generation toilet paper. if you're used to stuff that caresses your ass, you probably won't like it. but really? unless you have an episode of 'rhoids or something, I'm pretty sure it's gonna suffice. go pick up a pack (I found mine at lowe's on glenwood) and check out the back--just look at what would happen if everybody used a four-pack in place of normal TP, just once...

and yesterday I decided--for earth day I'm trying to give up high fructose corn syrup. And I don't need to wait until next Tuesday to do it--there's no time like the present! I mean, clearly, that's gonna be pretty damn hard to do cold turkey. So I'm not even gonna try that...but for instance, for lunch today I had grape juice and club soda instead of a coke. I also made some iced tea. Seltzer and club sodea don't have any hfcs. (allegedly some tonic water doesn't either, but that wasn't the case at my grocery store) And man, it's in everything. there's a list of what it isn't in, too, but wow. So it's better for my health to drink the alternatives and by not consuming as much of it, I am doing my part for my health and to stop our using so much corn (the growing process depletes nutrients and it isn't usually rotated like a lot of crops). Which is all that matters. see that comic? natalie dee is right!

I read a little article here, and although it's not as a big of an impact as, say, eating all local or using only reusable bags, it's something. and it's good for me.

speaking of impact...
because kara mentioned it. do you know what I love? I've actually been meaning to tell you--I love it that so many of you who read this blog have, at one time or another, started doing something more environmentally conscious.
or learned more about an enviro concern.
or have sent me a recycled-paper card with a martini on it because it made you think of me.
or have called me to tell me that your significant other was wasting energy by standing with the fridge door open and saying "somewhere, carrie is crying because you're wasting energy!"
or have switched a light bulb or used a reusable bag or walked to the store or combined your trips or carpooled or anything else.

I LOVE IT.
love it.

so from my heart, I say thank you, mother earth says thank you, and we both say keep up the good work! every single little bit counts.

3 comments:

Maria said...

I've been deleting hfcs from our lives too. I try to look for raw sugar or cane sugar at this point. It's not easy though. Seriously-- corn syrup is in everything!

M. said...

I can't find Seventh Generation toilet paper anywhere. I wonder if I have to go to a co-op or something. But cheers to you!

Anonymous said...

Somewhere around here I still have my "Nature Can't Be Restocked" shirt from Carrie, from oh so long ago in the kitchen of Trinity.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio