Thursday, September 27, 2007

"i regularly use the small of my back as a plate."

~harvey jahue

he said that in the limo. on the way home from the burial. and it was well-timed and friggin hilarious. and I liked it.

for the record, my family is nuuuuuuts. we're a bunch of women--there are only a handful of men and a lot of those married in to our craziness. I hear it's catching. kidding, kidding. well, sorta.

I got here okay. I mean, my first flight was delayed and I almost cried at the ticket counter, and then I missed my second flight due to the delay and got on a later flight that was also delayed, but all in all it was okay. and I finished my book and I'm starting a new one.

AND this wonderful girl named molly went to pick up adam so I didn't have to. thank goodness.

also, I am exhausted. As of right now I've been up for almost exactly twelve hours, and I've spend nine of them in a black dress. I just put on my pjs.

today and yesterday were really sad, and I don't want to dote on them. but I will tell you that my granddad looked like a wax figure of himself, that the service was wonderful (and I even laughed a little--at appropriate times), my mom almost fainted on the way out, I'm very thankful for my Aunt Gayla who is also a planner because we worked for like an hour figuring out the limo and seating arrangements, it was cute that the marines who did the military salute were a husband and wife, the irises I bought were very much appreciated by everyone, and playing go fish with a six year old can be refreshing.

I also got to spend some real quality time with my granny last night. We talked and talked and talked--about granddad, about how my relationship with my grandparents isn't a typical one but how lucky we both/all are for it, how great it was that I'm staying at her house, about plants (trillium, irises, wisteria, etc) and about how we're both stubborn, loud and always cold. :)

and after that conversation she did something amazing...there is this afghan that usually sits on the pink couch in my granny's room. it is green and pink or green and red, depending on how you think of colors--I, of course, think pink. ;) but anyway, I've been eyeing this thing for a long time. It's crocheted in one of those zig-zag patterns that has a name I can't remember, and it is made of variegated yarn--a stripe of pink then green then pink. And it is beautiful.

and now, it is mine.

I am allergic to it. And it has to be dry cleaned. And I have to keep it away from Gobi and Hazel when they get in their clawing moods.

but it absolutely made my day. I'll take a picture of it and share it with y'all soon.

and now, I'm going to bed. night. oh, and next time I blog I'm going to tell you a joke. it's exactly the kind of joke my granddaddy would've loved. I've told it to all of my family who's here, and they agree. get prepared.

5 comments:

melissa said...

glad you're safe and sound, and i'm definitely looking forward to your joke. : )

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Molly was able to pick up Adam, but I hate that your flights were so mucked up. I'll cross my fingers and say a prayer that your travels on Monday are better. In the meantime, eat some chicken soup and enjoy being surrounded by family.

Big hugs...

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

you got a blanky. best gift ever.

Ariel and Chris said...

We've been thinking of you, Carrie! We miss you, girl.

Adam said...

HUGZORZ!!!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio