Wednesday, January 31, 2007

tired of tires.

so, again, I was all working on this post about "need." I'm quoting Helen Keller AND Steven Tyler in it, just you wait. and then, mid-musing, I call to check on my Mattie. She's at Atlantic tire, y'see, and she's getting her inspection and oil changed. and two new effing tires.

so instead, let me quote Andie MacDowell...and you name that movie, k? see: label.

now, I just gave myself a little crash course on tires. what the state of nc requires (tread depth of 2/32 of an inch or more--and no, they don't reduce that fraction, the dummies), how to properly care for your tires (I mean, I knew about checking the pressure and rotating) and also watched a silly animated video about what to do in the event of a blowout. I learned how to measure your tread depth at home (with a lincoln penny), too. And the nice man on the telephone making me spend a gazillion dollars on some cord and rubber that's inflatable told me about tread life ratings and traction ratings.

and while I'm glad, nay, THRILLED, to know about these particulars in the rubber that goes round-and-round, round-and-round, round-and-round department, what I really want to know is why my car, which I haven't even been driving for TWO YEARS yet, already needs new tires. This baby's got 27,358 miles on her, give or take a fortnight. And she needs new tires.

sigh.

really, if I was either
1) terribly responsible,
2) terribly motivated or
3) terribly rich
I'd spring for the quad. A quad of tires to go with my love quadrilateral? nah. But apparently Mattie's rear is a little less ample than her front, or maybe those tires just lucked out, but I've still got 2 or 3 additional thirty-seconds before I need new ones for those. Maybe I'll think of it like she's getting a manicure now and she'll get a pedicure this summer, just in time for flip flops and swimming suits. :)

bad news: tires cost mucho mulah, 'specially when you sprung for the leather seats which came with fancy rims for which they only make performance tires, all 'cause you didn't want hot pink polka dots on your upholstery
good news: at least these new tires have ratings that are almost twice as good, so they *should* last a lot longer...maybe even until I pay off the car!

I was so excited about my tax return yesterday. SO excited. And now, I think I'll be using it to buy me some tires. yip-to-the-ee. At least I love love love my car. And that's all the silver lining I got.

1 comments:

The Writer said...

Harry had expensive tires too. It sucked. And you have to replace them a lot sooner than the normal ones.

One thing I found was a store that offered warrenties on them. It was work the extra $10 per tire because if something went wrong, you'd get some credit for them...

:)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio