Friday, June 23, 2006

my ode to crayola.


Oh, how I love thee, paraffin and pigment!

So, yesterday I bought a 96 box of crayons to keep at work and/or to take with me places (incase they get melted—see, I already have one at home). I discovered that they’re like $2.50 cheaper at Walmart than at Michaels—and that’s a lot when they aren’t expensive to begin with.

And on my way home, excited about future crayon use (though I’ve yet to do any since I watched two episodes of LOST with Otto instead) I had a little blast from my past.

I remember almost catching the microwave on fire trying to create one of those mottled multi-color crayon things. Anna and I thought this was a brilliant idea when we were, oh, ten.

I thought about how I hate sharpening crayons and therefore loved the beginning of new school year because it meant I got new ones. I think I’m a fan of the little lip on the top. And I like them to be neat and clean and uniform and I don’t like to tear the paper. Perhaps I’m a little OCD about ‘em.

At one point in my life I had decided that I was going to work for one of two companies—Crayola or Bic. Eventually Prang or Papermate also entered in the picture. I thought I wanted to be an engineer in ink. Turns out that’s 1) a hard thing to be and 2) you’re stuck there, so no field-changing. So I came up with a new plan. I think I’m currently on plan eleventy-billion-and-six, but what-ev.

I still love coloring books. I like the PowerPuff girls best right now.


Green crayons are some of my favorites. If it’s a shade of green and a crayon, I like it.

Gel crayons aren’t so fun, by the by.

And I want to go to Easton, PA, and I want to buy this shirt, too.


And today I’m drawing a sailboat. And this weekend I’m going to take some fun crayon pics, perhaps. The ones I found online inspired me to do so…

Happy weekend, kiddos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Perhaps I’m a little OCD about ‘em."

Perhaps?

Nah...



So, Crystal wants to go to the Crayola place too. She says, "Carrie likes crayons??? I gotta meet her! She sounds cool!"

So, I guess you're in good with my GF. Hooray!

brooke knight said...

DELIGHTFUL!

Turner said...

Weeeee! That was a fun ride.

I think talking about Crayons put you into a ten-year-old mindset becuse, by the end, your sentences made you sound like a child talking about crayons lol. It was sweet, in a weird way.

Anonymous said...

I know it's been a while since you've actually posted this entry, but I figured I'd post you a link to this pic...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/zildjianchick99/DadDrinkingoutofCrayonGlassa.jpg

...because it's a crayon glass I got from the Crayola Factory I ALMOST toured. The key word being almost. Because my parents were mean and wouldn't let me go. Granted I was 21 at the time...but still they scarred me for life. So now I HAVE to go back!

Anyway, I got the crayon glass from the factory gift shop, which my parents did let me go to...and which you get a free crayon at.

I would've posted a pic of just the glass, but that would've involved washing it and then getting my camera out, taking the pic and downloading it...which is so much work! Besides, I like this pic cuz it's my dad pretending to be manly while drinking beer out of a glass with a cartoon crayon on it.

I'll stop rambling now. :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio